NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DiskMount?

jetstream

2 minutes ago, TakMan said:

you could also look out for a second hand Half Hitch FTX-V2 or V1 (with or without the upgrades).

That would give you the late Charles Riddle’s ‘2-axis’ balance. That would negate some of the eyepiece / weight changes and also has axis locks.

Thank you very much for the info- years ago I looked into these mounts and just missed them because of Charles unfortunate passing. Rumour around that time was a family member would continue on but I guess that never happened.

I would love one of these mounts...

Yes, I spoke with his son Jake after his father’s passing.

I was very fortunate to receive the tracking unit for my mount (possibly the only one outside the States…)

To be honest, I prefer the operation without the tracking as it’s a bit fiddly and doesn’t work as well when out of balance. Perhaps with Charles’ help, it could have been dialled in better after…

I think the Rowan mount will do much better in that regard, but I still won’t be getting rid of my Nova Hitch!

Jake did start a Kickstart campaign, but I don’t think it took off…

Here is a link to one of many FTX CN threads, it gives a god idea what such a well thought out bit of engineering is capable of..!

FFB3C643-DAEA-4386-B611-2A950391B1D0.jpeg.5cdad7332501da487cf17068371fd250.jpeg

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/646341-ftx-plus-alt-azimuth-mount-for-grabgo/

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TakMan said:

it gives a god idea what such a well thought out bit of engineering is capable of..!

Nice nice set up!! Ok I not only want the mount but your pairs of the superb TSA's!!!

Edited by jetstream

A pic of my own baby, well, why not!

E015B511-71BD-40BD-A54E-B8C078157E43.thumb.jpeg.b6fd5662f056b38f803743cebab9f115.jpeg

F8C60896-27DD-4753-9304-8C4518D9A48B.thumb.jpeg.8601847f522c16a8f4b56fdbc05c53e8.jpeg

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, I see a lot of talk about the new Nexus device on the Rowans…

I might be missing something, but this appears to be a retrograde step - like an updated version of the ole SkyCommander XP4/5 devices (I do have one somewhere that shipped with the Nova)….

Now Sergie’s old Nexus WiFi thingy, hooked up to an iPad offering a push to digital planetarium with corrected views, etc seams to be a much better way of doing things!!!!

Damian

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jetstream said:

Nice nice set up!! Ok I not only want the mount but your pairs of the superb TSA's!!!

Sorry, crossing wires, not my mount!

Although I do have a TSA102s as well as the TEC140ED and also that Tak tripod shown off the CN thread I linked to… just mine is sitting under the matching EM400 mount for imaging!

Like SpaceHopper, I went for the Planet - I liked the aesthetic of the wood and was talking to Charles when he was thinking of making his own tripods…

D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TakMan said:

Yes, I spoke with his son Jake after his father’s passing.

I was very fortunate to receive the tracking unit for my mount (possibly the only one outside the States…)

To be honest, I prefer the operation without the tracking as it’s a bit fiddly and doesn’t work as well when out of balance. Perhaps with Charles’ help, it could have been dialled in better after…

I think the Rowan mount will do much better in that regard, but I still won’t be getting rid of my Nova Hitch!

Jake did start a Kickstart campaign, but I don’t think it took off…

Here is a link to one of many FTX CN threads, it gives a god idea what such a well thought out bit of engineering is capable of..!

FFB3C643-DAEA-4386-B611-2A950391B1D0.jpeg.5cdad7332501da487cf17068371fd250.jpeg

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/646341-ftx-plus-alt-azimuth-mount-for-grabgo/

Any idea what that tripod is?

and what do you mean by "the late Charles Riddle’s ‘2-axis’ balance"?- ah the dovetail clamp can slide up and down- nice

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by markse68

The tripod in the pic (with the curtain) is the Tak large metal tripod for the EM400   and 500 mounts…

The last one I saw come up second hand was via ENS in Birmingham… I think….

Those legs are 3 inches wide, next is Charles’ ‘Tripod Quick Release’ mounting and next the FTX mount.

Damian

• Thanks 1

On 15/03/2023 at 15:22, jetstream said:

Easy to adjust and holds well with different EP weights? I use a Vixen 42mm LWW as my heaviest really then switch to the likes of Delos and Naglers

Just having a re-read of your mount requirements….

I think most alt/az style mounts will have the issue of imbalance - going from say a 2” Ethos to a 1 1/4” T6 Nagler

Charles did try to address this with the Nova Hitch, it had some tolerance to eyepiece weight differences unlike his earlier, lighter mounts, but it still required axis locks for when swapping eyepieces- especially the 2” hand grenades!

And that’s the main crux of the issue - weighty eyepiece ‘removal’ - trying to remain on target, swap out the eyepiece and stopping the scope lurching downwards!

So axis locks are very helpful for this…

The other problem is imbalance after eyepiece changes with vastly differing weights as you alluded to.
You can of course increase the drag/braking of the alt axis. I think the DiscMount is well suited to this with its large Teflon bearing. Charles’ creations loose their USP when taking this route - free flowing, stiction free movements…

So you may find this eyepiece accessory useful, if you are not already aware of the device… the TeleVue Equaliser - basically a lump of brass to add weight to the svelter side of your eyepiece collection!

E1A06E0C-52C4-4712-8C0A-BF5A76F11A37.jpeg.f4e221c4907cd41af51f56909a72adab.jpeg

Edited by TakMan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TakMan said:

So you may find this eyepiece accessory useful, if you are not already aware of the device… the TeleVue Equaliser - basically a lump of brass to add weight to the svelter side of your eyepiece collection!

Excellent!

Going to order one soon as I do like the 42mm LVW for some things. edge astig and all.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TakMan said:

might be missing something, but this appears to be a retrograde step - like an updated version of the ole SkyCommander XP4/5 devices (I do have one somewhere that shipped with the Nova)….

Now Sergie’s old Nexus WiFi thingy, hooked up to an iPad offering a push to digital planetarium with corrected views, etc seams to be a much better way of doing things!!!!

Hi Damian - i also may be missing something but i believe you get the choice with the AZ100/Nexus combo including a choice of "best of both" - i have a Nexus PRO equipped AZ100 and regularly use both the Nexus "head unit"  for want of a better description with its catalogues  AND Wi-Fi linked Sky Safari Pro on an iPad next to the scope. It really is "best of both" not either/or in my user experience.

Love your dialled in set-up BTW. Brilliant. 👍

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, josefk said:

It really is "best of both" not either/or in my user experience.

That’s good and useful to hear - if my own Nexus WiFi  device thingy ever goes, I can replace with this newer version and continue with SkySafari and perhaps a nice new iPad Pro!

• Like 1

On 16/03/2023 at 08:14, TakMan said:

the Half Hitch Nova Hitch mount (would also work for you), like the fact it is a ‘bit different’ and does what I wanted - free flowing and graceful movements without stiction.

Looking at these mounts Charles must have been doing this out of passion for the hobby, the work involved to make them belies any profit making motive. I wish I had one.

49 minutes ago, jetstream said:

the work involved to make them belies any profit making motive. I wish I had one.

From initial ordering to final delivery, well it wasn’t an easy ride (years!) and if you read the posts on CN, there were many unhappy folks - perhaps even left out of pocket on his passing….

I think there was also some ‘needle’ between Charles and the chap from DiscMount….

I don’t wish to speak ill of the dead, I don’t think for one moment he meant anything underhand, but it did appear to become something of a pyramid scheme (not sure that’s the right term - someone correct me if not)- only in the sense that he needed to sell to be able to make the next mount. This was exasperated by the events that were happening in the world beyond his control - manufacturing / CNC / machining costs rising exponentially, the cost of anodising, the cost of raw materials, bearings, etc and his constant tinkering to make the mounts better and better beyond the initial design - either because of small issues coming to light with the experiences of first customers, but also customers putting bigger and bigger scopes onto the mount and pushing its upper capacity / operating envelope - things that Charles being the type of person (engineering type perfectionist) that he was, tried to sort… costs of his time and changes / materials / upgraded components plus extra features requested) that he didn’t pass on fully, if at all… onto customers who had already placed orders.

This lead to extended waiting times, convoluted ‘excuses’, stress to customers who had parted with money… plus his own stress as a one man show trying to keep his head above water and keep everyone… and himself… ‘happy’…

But his ideas were ahead of their time, his mounts an honour to his memory and for those that have one (and understand how to adjust the 2-axis balance), a piece of equipment to be admired, experienced and more importantly - enjoyed. The mount really does ‘disappear’ when used correctly!

We’ll leave it there as not to hijack jetstream’s post.

But if you ever come across a ‘for sale’ ad for one - especially the (rare as hen’s teeth) tracking Super Half Hitch (never seen one for sale…. drool), then snap it up!

Damian

Edited by TakMan
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, TakMan said:

We’ll leave it there as not to hijack jetstream’s post.

Thats all great and interesting info to hear! Definitely not hijacking - I'm very interested in the nuances of different mounts. Anyone can bring their thoughts and experiences of mounts here to chat about.

You just made me want one all the more lol!

Being a craftsman doesnt necessarily mean being a businessman IMHO.  I think that some who are into innovation and are craftsmen place a lot of the money issues aside to try the continuing evolution of their product.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Being a craftsman doesnt necessarily mean being a businessman IMHO.  I think that some who are into innovation and are craftsmen place a lot of the money issues aside to try the continuing evolution of their product.

Wholeheartedly agree - that sums up Charles to a tee…

• Like 1

You are more than welcome…

Like a scope and eyepieces, the mount is such a personal thing.

I’ll never get the chance to try other mounts that may be ‘better’ than what I have, but I don’t think you will go wrong with a Rowan, DiskMount, T-Rex, Half Hitch and the like (if you want to keep it ‘unpowered’), we are fortunate to have a few small concerns that strive to make such devices.

If I was looking for a ‘powered’ alt/az, I’d be drawn to the TTS Panther….

Most do nothing more, nor better than the humble (and cheaper), EQ6, but it’s nice to experience something different…

Perhaps I should try and get to a few star parties with the Nova Hitch, just to show to a wider audience what Charles was trying to achieve in his own small way…

Best of luck with the decision making and hunt for that ‘perfect’ mount (there isn’t one by the way!)

Clear skies…

Damian

• Like 1

Perhaps the most impressive 'powered' alt-az mount i've seen is the 10 Micron AZ1000 HPS.

Theres a video of it somewhere with it carrying a 160mm TEC following a daytime pass of the ISS. And it followed it all the way, bang on track all the way through the zenith. Very impressive.

But you are well into 5 figure territory there.

When you look at it, the Rowan AZ100 with its modularity, its dual scope capability, encoders, and now motorisation options is perhaps the most compelling mounting option of them all in that price bracket.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Space Hopper said:

10 Micron AZ1000 HPS.

Out of my league and I really have no use for one, but great you mention it. There is no end to spending on nice equipment:shocked: These are extremely well made from what I hear . I did call DSP about the Rowan but no answer and I like to chat to check stock before any mouse clicks. I'll probably end up with a Rowan and a DM6 in the end but I would really like to try a Half Hitch, for many reasons including the history behind them and its interesting inventor/fabricator.

The DM6 would be nice for my TSA120 as a dedicated set up and the Rowan could serve two scopes well. I guess at heart I'm an alt az guy. I did put a different GPS on recommendation for the AZEQ6 and it just finds itself and is very easy to use with it. The mount is good but needs different grease and I'm not motivated to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

@Space Hopper @TakMan I am in the process of ordering a DM6 from Tom, cant wait and should be here in a week and a half. Got it with encoders and the finder mount on the mount itself, what a great idea. Also coming with the DSC mount. Tom is also giving me pointers with regard to the WSP and where to stay etc. I hope to look through some top glass from TEC, Tak, A-P and help me in a future decision down the road.

I may try the Rowan down the road, we'll see where this refractor craze will bring me! lol!

Gerry

• Like 2

Congratulations on the DM6, its a brilliant mount. I bought mine in 2017 with the Televue Starbeam finder adapter. I fitted Astro Devices Nexus encoders myself after receiving the DM6. Together with a Berlebach Planet tripod it's a great combination.

I'm currently using an Intes Micro M703 which the DM6 handles with ease. I use Ethos, Panoptic and Pentax eyepieces from 5mm to 35mm, and have never had to readjust the balance, the DM6 just copes. Yet push to movements are fluid.

I bought the DM6 with future larger telescopes in mind. 

Edited by Mr Magoo
  • Like 2

Gerry,

Does the mount need tracking or not?

If so I'd also look at the HAZ31. The weight is around 3.5 kg vs the AZ100 of around 10 kg.

Note: I'm planning on getting the motor upgrade for the AZ100 I have, I would just like a more portable and compact mount for dark sites visits etc or tree dodging in the back garden.

The HAZ31 is also a top loader which makes set up and tear down easier.

The only caution is earlier shipments appear to have issues with the mother boards. If you get a working version the tracking is meant to be superb.

The other gotcha here is balancing the scope. My tail heavy 105 mm LZOS needs a 1 kg counter weight on the lens end to balance when on the AZ100.

The harmonic drive in the HAZ31 makes the need for a counterweigh redundant, you can change EP's from a 30 mm UWA to a HR 1.6 mm without a rebalance.

I'm waiting on more reports but from the feedback I've seen very positive.

M