Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What are your Laws of Astronomy?

Moonshed

On 03/03/2023 at 13:10, Andy ES said:

Another law says:

A beautiful clear night guarantees that the series on TV I am required to watch with Mrs will be on.

”An offer I can’t refuse”😁

Having said that I will always put my family’s wants and needs before Astronomy. (Most of the time)👍

My strategy is fail safe, I have learned if I ask a lot of questions and make sufficient noise with the chip bag while watching shows she enjoys (which I don’t) she is more than happy to kick me out of the living room. Now it’s pretty much expected when she’s watching a reality show of some sort that she asks “aren’t you going out with your scope?” Why yes! yes I will! to which she replies…oh good. That said, we do enjoy many movies and shows together.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 03/03/2023 at 16:29, Sunshine said:

1. No matter how many times I say I don't need another scope, there will always be another.

2. My wife will always say without fail "what is wrong with the other two telescopes" 

3. Once I buy the other telescope I WILL say to myself "this is it, no more telescopes"

4. See number 1

This sounds like a flowchart, like a biological process that astronomers develop 😂

I'll add one - You've already been waiting months for a particular piece of kit to come up second hand, so you talk yourself into paying that bit more for new stuff, and as if by magic the item you were looking for for months turns up for sale the next day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Now it’s pretty much expected when she’s watching a reality show of some sort that she asks “aren’t you going out with your scope?” Why yes! yes I will! to which she replies…oh good. That said, we do enjoy many movies and shows together

Diplomacy is defined as letting my Mrs have MY way 🙂

• Haha 2

I've only got one law.

When reading anything on an an astronomical forum or blog, don't just assume it is true.  People can write in a very authoritative manner, even when they have little knowledge or experience to back it up. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

Does that explain the plethora of responses to even a simple question, with an evenly matched number of totally contradictory opinions?

Yes, it does.  It's a problem for people new to the hobby, as they won't know who's view is the correct one, or most useful.

It can be useful  to look back at the members posts and feedback which may give clues as to their experience and interests.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

Yes, it does.  It's a problem for people new to the hobby, as they won't know who's view is the correct one, or most useful.

I've researched (lurked) for years on the internet on various astro topics and I have to hand it to this forum for character and humility. In my experience an alternative and popular forum seems to have a number of souls who are sensitive to the worth of their opinions!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

I've researched (lurked) for years on the internet on various astro topics and I have to hand it to this forum for character and humility. In my experience an alternative and popular forum seems to have a number of souls who are sensitive to the worth of their opinions!

Exactly right. Once you have identified some of the exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful people on the forum you can find out just about anything.  Alas, some newcomers may not realise that all advice is not helpful, however we'll intended.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paulastro said:

Exactly right. Once you have identified some of the exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful people on the forum you can find out just about anything.  Alas, some newcomers may not realise that all advice is not helpful, however we'll intended.

Another trouble is that when you are new it's hard to know what parameters with kit are 'better' and what comes down to preference.  An example would be a flat field Vs large FOV.  Some people prefer the widest view whilst some can't stand distortion and would rather a narrower fov with a better image.  Stuff like that took me a while to grasp.

For newbies I think a good law would be:

"When you are starting out, don't try to buy everything at once.  You don't know what you don't know, so get the minimum to get going and then get more when you do know"

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Another trouble is that when you are new it's hard to know what parameters with kit are 'better' and what comes down to preference.  An example would be a flat field Vs large FOV.  Some people prefer the widest view whilst some can't stand distortion and would rather a narrower fov with a better image.  Stuff like that took me a while to grasp.

For newbies I think a good law would be:

"When you are starting out, don't try to buy everything at once.  You don't know what you don't know, so get the minimum to get going and then get more when you do know"

I am being partly flippant but I'd say "Buy the best mount you can('t) afford because if you don't you will lose a bit upgrading once your knowledge lets you know the "mistake" you made."

• Like 2