Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Manual head for grab and go

Daniel-K

Hi guys looking for ideas for a head for a grab and go set-up. The scope will be a short tubes frac like the gt81. So about 4kg payload.

Ive looked at the skyetee2 and just wondering if there's anything else like that around.

Thanks

If you want something simple, light and compact I can recommend the AZT6. I mount an ED80 on mine and without a counterweight and sitting on a camera tripod makes for a very portable lightweight set-up. No slo-mo though if that bothers you.

On 01/03/2023 at 16:54, Alan White said:

Slow motion or not?

Wasn’t the use of the term slo-mo banned by @Stu?

I mentioned it once, but I think I might have got away with it 🤣

Edited by JeremyS
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Wasn’t the use of the term slo-mo banned by @Stu?

I mentioned it once, but I think I might have got away with it 🤣

My therapy has been going well Jeremy, and the twitch is much more under control. I’m able to type ‘Slo-Mo’ without needing to retreat to a darkened room now, but saying it is one of the next steps I’ve yet to achieve 😉.

• Haha 2

When I was looking into this I really wanted slomo controls, but the more I looked into it, people were using a lot more bearing type push mounts. I wanted a Stellarvue M002C but the import cost seemed high, so I bought an equivalent cheaper, Tecnosky Cubo. Very solid (I think its body is zinc die cast as it's quite heavy) and you also have the option of fitting the counterweight bar for balancing which the Stellarvue didn't have, and it fits onto a standard photo 3/8 inch male thread tripod. I installed a WO dovetail clamp as it doesn't come with one.

Edited by Elp

I had an M2C and just couldn't love it, no matter that it was a thing of great beauty - had to have my s-l-o-m-o.  Anyway, I wound up with a ScopeTech Zero.  It's a bit pricey, but it's light and folds down quite compactly for travel.  It handles my ST50, ST80, and 72ED quite well.  I'm not as impressed with it when I put my 102ED on it, but that might be because the R&P focuser on the 102 is rather stiff.

Rumor has it that the Zero is not being sold in the US right now due to a patent dispute, but I believe FLO has them.  I'd suggest grabbing one if you think it could work for you before they become unicorns.  You can always resell it later.

1 hour ago, jjohnson3803 said:

Rumor has it that the Zero is not being sold in the US right now due to a patent dispute, but I believe FLO has them.  I'd suggest grabbing one if you think it could work for you before they become unicorns.  You can always resell it later.

Unfortunately the Zero is no more over here either. Shame as it is an excellent mount.

• Like 2