Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heritage 130 Adventures

The H130 was set out to cool last night and a variety of eyepieces were used- the 25mm Super plossl, the 18mm Baader classic ortho and a Circle T 12.5mm ortho. No need for super expensive eyepieces, eventhough the 24 ES 68 is sure nice.

I'll illustrate a principle of observing that some use including me. Knowing which eyepiece will work in advance is a huge asset and why they work.

Up in the Orion constellation lies Barnards Loop- a nemesis for many observers, however get things right and its not hard at all. Dark skies are a must 21+ mag on the SQM. M78 is a reflection nebula that is easy to see.  Getting to know this object is a must (IMHO) as a first step to seeing Barnards Loop. The 25mm Super plossl found it, no problem but it was washed out a bit. In goes the 18mm BCO- a very high contrast eyepiece- with a bit more mag and M78 really popped.

No filters are needed for reflection nebula. Depending on their size they might like a bit more mag than your finder 25mm eyepiece.

Now that M78 was located and back in with the 25mm (exit pupil of about 5mm) I scanned left and right to catch a shade edge. Because I have observed the Loop hundreds of times I caught the edge with no filter, but to start with a nice UHC type filter or in my case an inexpensive but vg DGM NPB was used.  Using this filter the Loops edge was easily visible and panning through this spot has us coming out the other side with the delicate grey edge disappearing.

Dont look directly for the Loop- you will be in it and not know it. The section next to M78 is also one of the brightest. The loop is massive and I have followed it top to bottom with the H130. A top tier Hb is an excellent asset but the object selection is so limited I dont usually mention it.

Look for M78 with the 25mm, if no luck up the mag a bit it will appear "brighter". Back in goes the 25mm for the Loop and it will be yours, if under dark skies.

Down to the Flame now, buried in one of Orions stars. The Flame is also a must to get to know as right near it is the elusive Horse Head nebula. Point scope at Alnitak and believe me there is a nebula right next to it, I can see it with the 25mm, buried in there. To see objects very near bright stars get the orthos out... I use and love the BCO series (6mm excepted) and the old Tani Circle T orthos, the narrow true field of view and low scatter will tame Alnitak. The 18mm had the Flame pop out and the 12.5mm was even better, no filter on this one.

To recap- M78 is the key to seeing Barnards Loop and the Flame nebula is the first step to the Horse Head IMHO. Upping the mag for M78 makes it easier to see and narrowing the TFOV is a key to the Flame nebula.

Last night I observed over 20 DSO again before relaxing in my home built hot tub lol And the views from the tub were absolutely amazing as I revisted the objects position in their constellation.

A very good night.

Gerry

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sounds fantastic Gerry, thanks for all the excellent advice. I need to try to nail at least the Flame before it’s gone this year. Most of us struggle with sky darkness compared with your site, but I’m hoping that down on the coast, 30 mins from here should be mag 21+ so worth a go with the 16”

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

Sounds fantastic Gerry, thanks for all the excellent advice. I need to try to nail at least the Flame before it’s gone this year. Most of us struggle with sky darkness compared with your site, but I’m hoping that down on the coast, 30 mins from here should be mag 21+ so worth a go with the 16”

Thanks Stu, I just thought I'd write down some sure fire ways to see some things and with any scope really. Its the principles involved that I hope to relate to newcomers and as we know most any scope can see these things if they are followed.

Yes 21mag is a crossover point IMHO but Ive observed the Flame in a bit brighter skies, high 19's back when I was researching things a bit. Your 16" will be excellent on the Flame.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Very interesting, I need to drag my scope out to your neck of the woods to try this, definitely not doable from this close to Toronto.

Nor my sisters place in Mississauga , but there must be pockets of darkness near you.The SQM-L is valuable for finding these pockets between light domes.

1 minute ago, jetstream said:

Nor my sisters place in Mississauga , but there must be pockets of darkness near you.The SQM-L is valuable for finding these pockets between light domes.

When I do make a trip away from home, I'll go to Torrence Barrens dark sky preserve near Huntsville, I believe. A 1hr 45min drive from me, the skies there are great though I'm not sure what the exact bottle rating is.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jetstream said:

Last night I observed over 20 DSO again before relaxing in my home built hot tub lol And the views from the tub were absolutely amazing as I revisted the objects position in their constellation.

This sounds incredible…. Can I come and live with you please?! 🙏 

• Haha 3

Just now, Sunshine said:

When I do make a trip away from home, I'll go to Torrence Barrens dark sky preserve near Huntsville, I believe.

I think up near my sisters cabin in Wasaga there are dark skies available too. Your TSA102 will chew up Barnards Loop- if you have the right eyepiece. I use a 42mm Vixen LVW in my f7-7.5 fracs to see it, Pleaides Bubble too etc.

3 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

This sounds incredible…. Can I come and live with you please?! 🙏 

Sure, we are building a cabin this summer, volunteers needed lol.

Actually my bro in law- a contractor is so fast and good we just stay out of his (and crews) way lol If he has time it might happen late summer, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Just now, jetstream said:

Sure, we are building a cabin this summer, volunteers needed lol.

Actually my bro in law- a contractor is so fast and good we just stay out of his (and crews) way lol If he has time it might happen late summer, fingers crossed.

Sounds like they’ll need a tea boy 😆

• Haha 2

Excellent report. You are spot on about the Flame and HH. That's my experience when i saw it, as I used the Flame as my first clue on seeing quality. Regarding Barnards Loop , I have never tried it. M78 is easily visible on my 24mm EP and I should give the Barnards Loop a try next time. Would you say the UHC or Hb are better to see it?

The hot tub sounds amazing too!

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine said:

If you ever need spray foam insulation my brother is well known in the business, he’s been doing it forever, stuff is great in cold weather, keep a cabin warm with a candle 😂

Actually yes- another way to build them is 2" top ring, spray foamed and then clad with another sheet of aluminum, no wood completely maintenance free. But heavier. I wrapped mine in a concrete tarp, and from 105 deg at night it remained 90 deg in the morning- in -20ish.

A guy does it 60 km away but I have to wait- long- to get it done as not many foam jobs up here, deadly expensive.

Making them this way is on my list.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kon said:

Excellent report. You are spot on about the Flame and HH. That's my experience when i saw it, as I used the Flame as my first clue on seeing quality. Regarding Barnards Loop , I have never tried it. M78 is easily visible on my 24mm EP and I should give the Barnards Loop a try next time. Would you say the UHC or Hb are better to see it?

The hot tub sounds amazing too!

The Hb is the preferred filter, but they are fussy on exit pupil and go a bit too low and forget it. A 30mm widefield in your f6 dob will show it easily with your 8" dob. I have a superb 1.25" old Astronomik Hb that is amazing.

For my post however, I wanted to illustrate the absolute need for dark skies and the needed eyepiece (range). Many beginners dont have Hb's but do have UHC so thats what I commented on. In reality, when everything is right no filter is needed at the mentioned spot near M78.

Having M78 right next to the brightest portion of the Loop is a gift from the heavens above.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

Me I'm the concrete pad, forming dude- I get the pad all ready , packed and re barred. Old Ger is getting a bit long in the tooth for this :rolleyes2::grin:

I meant me not you… I  can make a nice cup o tea for the crew in exchange for somewhere to set my scope up 😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes, but, you have bears over there, right? 😱🤣

Yes but they are still sleeping. Neek chase one of these away last month right where I observe. That wolf was huge - a speed square layed next to it showed a 5" diameter print...

I saw it and it dwarfed this one in the picture that was in front of the house.

IMG_1786 (2).JPG

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

You are more than welcome to deal with my frequent visitors :biggrin:

Can’t be worse than cows. I was once charged  by a heard of cows and literally had to run for my life. It was terrifying!

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 1