NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What if 1.5kM wide asteroid hits the UK ..

EarthLife

I think that distinction between clothes and trees catching fire (former at shorter distance) - has to do with profile / cross section presented to the blast rather than type of material or how easy is to set it on fire using normal means.

Trees are taller and have larger cross section and will thus collect enough energy for ignition at larger distance.

• Thanks 1

Many who observed the Chelyabinsk event reported that they could actually feel the radiation from the fireball warming their faces. Meteors emit most of their light in the infrared part of the spectrum. In terms of visible light Chelyabinsk was brighter than the Sun at peak.

As for filters - a welding mask perhaps!

• Like 1

On 09/02/2023 at 11:44, Captain Scarlet said:

Phew thanks be to God I moved to the SW tip of Ireland 🤣🤣, should escape the worst 

haha! Well all my family are from Brosna' County Kerry, southwest Ireland, so I might bump into you when I head over to my late Nannas cottage when i'm fleeing the next big Asteroid!! Haha! 

11 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

haha! Well all my family are from Brosna' County Kerry, southwest Ireland, so I might bump into you when I head over to my late Nannas cottage when i'm fleeing the next big Asteroid!! Haha! 

I'm afraid the lumps destination has moved, NASA's attempt to knock it off coarse only moved it's destination by a few miles ;)

image.thumb.jpeg.fda1a6c002e4eb653c1ac5c2ec83ebdc.jpeg

Edited by EarthLife

Only spotted prediction 15 minutes before "impact"! Sadly, too far South for me?
Some fun videos of (supposedly) 1m diameter AR2667 over France / the channel! 😎
Maybe some of you might have seen it? Can't embed, see "pic" twitter link.

From Brighton apparently! 😉

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Macavity said:

Only spotted prediction 15 minutes before "impact"! Sadly, too far South for me?
Some fun videos of (supposedly) 1m diameter AR2667 over France / the channel! 😎
Maybe some of you might have seen it? Can't embed, see "pic" twitter link.

From Brighton apparently! 😉

Clouds and horizon permitting, an event like this can be visible for 500+ km from the event itself. I've captured fireballs that are towards S France from here in Derby.