2024 Scotland's Autumn Galloway Premier Star Camp.

Physopto

On 02/09/2024 at 08:23, fireballxl5 said:

Latest posts have kindled my interest only to find that there are no pitches left. Is there an option to attend the star party and stay elsewhere, somewhere close by?

Hi xl5

Just been at Lesley's for weekend break, there are still pitches available for the star camp, I suggest you look on her website, drumroamin Farm and camp site, contact her direct 

Jim

2 minutes ago, jamie56 said:

Hi xl5

Just been at Lesley's for weekend break, there are still pitches available for the star camp, I suggest you look on her website, drumroamin Farm and camp site, contact her direct 

Jim

Already booked👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lucas M said:

Just so happens that the new moon (1st Nov) falls on the day of my big 4-0 so we are bound to have clear skies right? as the universe's birthday present to me...

We can only hope ...........

On 23/09/2024 at 13:00, jamie56 said:

Hi xl5

Jim

Didnae think of telling me about your visit did ye..... 🤫

17 hours ago, Physopto said:

Didnae think of telling me about your visit did ye..... 🤫

Didn't tell me you was at yer m8s auld yin , recon u owe me a wee goldie fir that 😂

• Haha 1

Not long now lads and gals, hope you are all getting excited, looking forward to clear skies and a good old catch up wi old and new attendees, and the first round is on our Derren 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 30/09/2024 at 08:07, jamie56 said:

first round is on our Derren 😉

🤔You were always a dreamer.........

😠 maybe have some "O" That realy nice Macallan Gold left over though 🤣

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, jamie56 said:

When u heading up Derek 

Hi Jim,

I hope to be in the area some time before the start, but will head over for the 29/30th all being well.

All depends upon new tyres for the caravan. Having trouble getting the ones I need. New tyres from Germany are supposed to arrive today. The ones on at present have splits in side walls on three tyres. (Cheep rubbish were fitted by Swift Caravan at the factory).

When are you getting there?

5 hours ago, Physopto said:

Hi Jim,

I hope to be in the area some time before the start, but will head over for the 29/30th all being well.

All depends upon new tyres for the caravan. Having trouble getting the ones I need. New tyres from Germany are supposed to arrive today. The ones on at present have splits in side walls on three tyres. (Cheep rubbish were fitted by Swift Caravan at the factory).

When are you getting there?

Hi Derek

We are heading down on the Sunday, was gonna be Friday buy my son and family are coming back from Turkey on the Saturday and  are staying with us Saturday nite. Hope u get yer tires sorted out 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

(Below /at the bottom of this post.        Is an extract from an article by the BBC News.

Please note it IS CONCERNING NIGHT CLOSURES between 20.00 to 06.00     NOT during the daytime!

THE PERTINENT DATES are  between 28 October and 2 November.

So late night travelling for some may be awkward during the Star Camp....... 

SUGGESTION ONLY...... Look it up on a map before trying it.......

The distance will be about the same as the A75.

If travelling from M6 west on the A75 and expecting to get to Gatehouse after 2000 hrs then I suggest: turn off onto the A712  at Crocketford. Head up towards Dalry. Then continue down again on the A712 to Newton Stewart is the best suggestion I can think of.

There is a slightly shorter route but it is very poor (the national cycle route) and a nightmare to use as the surface is broken and extremely tight/narrow. I did it in daylight and never again. That was in a car with no caravan.)

EXTRACT FROM BBC NEWS ARTICLE

Drivers and residents have shared frustrations over a 96-mile (150km) diversion put in place for an overnight road closure in southern Scotland.

Improvement works on the A75 in Dumfries and Galloway mean a stretch of the road will be closed between 20:00 and 06:00 this week, with more work planned at the end of the month.

Road maintenance firm Amey said the diversion could take up to two-and-a-half hours, but it had done all it could to minimise disruption.

However people affected have said the closure is "totally unnecessary" and was having a major impact.

A map of a road closure in Dumfries and Galloway showing the alternative route between Newton Stewart and Castle Douglas
Image caption,
The overnight closure takes drivers up towards Ayr and back down

The A75 between Gretna and Stranraer and is the main route across Dumfries and Galloway going to and from the ferry ports at Cairnryan.

Work began last week at Mossyard and continues its next phase at Auchenlarie. Overnight closures take place from Monday night until Sunday morning, with more work planned between 28 October and 2 November.

It means journeys between Newton Stewart and Castle Douglas - which would normally take about 40 minutes - could take more than four times

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

A more detailed description of rediculusly over long detours.
It is not neccessary to follow these longer routes unless you are driving a huge lorry as far as I can see .

ESSENTIAL RESURFACING ON THE A75 COMMENCES SUNDAY 29TH SEPTEMBER

Amey, on behalf of Transport Scotland, is undertaking an essential package of resurfacing works on the A75 at Auchenlarie and Mossyard. Works will take place at Mossyard from Sunday 29th September until 6am on Friday 4th October, then they will move to

Auchenlarie from 8pm on Monday 7th October until Sunday 3rd November 2024.

This work will take place under total overnight closures between 8pm and 6am each night from Sunday 29th September until 6am on Friday 4th October 2024 at Mossyard. Resurfacing will then move to Auchenlarie and will take place in two phases. Phase one takes place under total overnight closures between 8pm and 6am each night from Monday 7th October until 6am on Saturday 12th October 2024. There will then be a pause in the works to accommodate the October half term holidays, and

overnight works will re-commence for Phase Two from Monday 28th October until Saturday 2nd November 2024. Traffic management will be removed by 6am on Sunday 3rd November.

The above pictures demonstrate the result of completed works at Mossyard.

Signed diversions will be in place and will operate as follows:
  • Westbound traffic will leave the A75 at Castle Douglas, take the A713 north to Ayr and the first exit at Bankfield Roundabout on to the southbound A77. Traffic will continue to Girvan and the A714 and re-join the A75 at Newton Stewart. Eastbound traffic will follow the route in reverse.
  • Local access will be maintained between Newton Stewart and the works area, and the works area and Castle Douglas.
  • Travel, in each direction, from the start of each closure point may take up to two and half hours via the diversion, so please plan your journey or avoid travel during these works, unless necessary.
  • Traffic exiting the ferry ports at Cairnryan and Stranraer during the works, are advised to travel north towards Girvan, and to follow the approved diversion route, rather than travel south towards the eastbound A75, which will be closed at Mossyard. Further travel on the eastbound A75, beyond Mossyard, will only be possible via the diversion route.

Daytime temporary traffic lights will also be in place between 6am and 8pm on the following days: Monday 30th September, Wednesday 2nd October, Wednesday 9th October, Thursday 10th October, Wednesday 30th October and Thursday 31st October.

Access for emergency service vehicles will be maintained throughout these works.

Please note, all schemes are weather dependent and may be cancelled or rescheduled if weather conditions are not favourable.

This scheme will benefit vehicles using this route each day, by improving the condition of the carriageway and reducing the need for more extensive maintenance in the future.

A75 MOSSYARD & AUCHENLARIE | FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS  
29 September – 3rd November

• What work is taking place on the A75 at Mossyard and Auchenlarie? 

Amey, on behalf of Transport Scotland, is undertaking an essential package of resurfacing works on the A75 at Auchenlarie and Mossyard.

• Why is it necessary to undertake this work now? 
The carriageway surface on the A75 at these locations is at the end of its operational life and needs to be removed to ensure the continued safety and reliability of this route. 
It is important that this work is completed before the onset of winter, and before the road deteriorates to the point that unplanned emergency repairs are required. 
Doing this work now will improve the condition of these roads and reduce the need for more extensive and disruptive works in future. The overall value of this work represents around £1million of investment in the infrastructure of the A75 trunk road.

• When is this work taking place?  
The work will commence at Mossyard from 8pm on Sunday 29th September until 6am on Friday 4th October. 
The work will then move to Auchenlarie from 8pm on Monday 7th October until 6am on Saturday 12th October 2024. A pause will take place for the half term holidays and overnight works will resume from 8pm on Monday 28th October until 6am on Sunday 3rd November 2024.

• How is this work being delivered?
These schemes will take place under total overnight full closures of the A75, at Mossyard and then at Auchenlarie, between 8pm and 6am each night. All traffic management will be removed by 6am on Sunday 3rd November.

The details of the signed, standard overnight diversion route are outlined below.

• Why are full overnight road closures being utilised for this work? 
The depth of treatment required, and the necessary road widths utilised by the works, mean the schemes cannot be delivered using single lane closures and full overnight carriageway closures are the only option to ensure the safety of road users and road workers. 
Overnight closures have been chosen to reduce disruption at peak travel times and when traffic volumes are lower.

• What is the diversion route for this work? 
The signed diversion for trunk road traffic will operate as follows:  

Westbound traffic will leave the A75 at Castle Douglas, take the A713 north to Ayr and the first exit at Bankfield Roundabout on to the southbound A77. Traffic will continue to Girvan and the A714 and re-join the A75 at Newton Stewart. 

Eastbound traffic will follow the same diversion, above, in the opposite direction. 

Traffic exiting the ferry ports at Cairnryan and Stranraer during the works, will be advised to travel north towards Girvan, and to follow the approved diversion route via the A714 to join the A75 at Newton Stewart. 

Local access will be maintained between Newton Stewart and the works area, and the works area and Castle Douglas.

Edited by Physopto

23 hours ago, Lucas M said:

Why would any of us be travelling during those hours anyway.... surely we will be enjoying the crystal clear night skies....

Maybe after closing time...............🥴

Oops shunae say that 😇

All shots are straight off the camera.

Either 6sec at 3200iso or 10sec at 1600iso. 

The red was vivid to me. The greens were not so much but brightened the sky so much it was casting shadows. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice pic's damien.  Looking forward to the starcamp again. Be nice to catch up with everyone.  And hopefully we'll get some nice clear nights . Hope our campervan doesn't have the headlights on all night this time lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1