Narrowband

Move Shoot Move Phone Holder

• 3 months later...

Any reviews, seems solid and allows adjustment to different eyepieces and phones. Saves me having to make several 3D printed adapters for scope/phone combinations… if it’s rigid enough?

Peter

It’s the best phone mount I’ve used, and I’ve tried most of the good ones; Celestron NeXYZ, FoneMate, Orion SteadyPix EZ and some of the cheapies.

It is all metal and very rigid, clamps securely to the eyepiece, maintains the phone parallel to the eyepiece ie doesn’t sag like the NeXYZ), holds its adjustment securely without moving given the slightest nudge (NeXYZ!) whilst still allowing m fine adjustments which are easy to make.

About the only criticism I have is that if you want to make gross adjustments it takes a few moments as you have to wind the fine threaded screw adjustments across their range, but that is a small sacrifice given all the other benefits.

Incase you hadn’t guessed, I’m a fan!

Oh, and buy direct from their site (MoveShootMove) as it is significantly cheaper, although with a bit of a lead time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@Stu sounds like a recommendation then?! I have the MSM Z-V adapter for using my binoculars on a monopod at high angle and was impressed. To date all my phone adapting has been homemade 3D printed, which limits it to one phone and eyepiece…. Someone bought me a cheap generic one before and it was like rubber. I’ll just go place the order now then!

Peter

• Like 2

Hmm I wonder if the Bluetooth shutter is better on this one? I have the Celestron NexXYZ and I can never get the bluetooth to stay paired up, also this looks a lot more stable than the NexXYZ I mean you bump it slightly or need to switch out your eyepiece and your out off alignment and need to realign and half the time you can’t get your phone to sit right in the spring loaded holder especially if you’re in a hurry.

Adapter arrived. Nice to have one that I can keep my phone in its case! Allows me to move the phone about to work out which lens it is trying to use! (With iPhone use portrait mode, you can toggle the lens used, make sure you turn off the false depth of field blur!)

It is pretty solid and robust, but not as stiff as it could be. At work I have translation stages that have absolutely no wobble at all. Looked at all the hex screws and all tight. I still managed to align (the fine translations are nice and smooth) and focus with my spotting scope and got a very nice image without using the included remote, which will avoid having to touch it and so induce vibrations. Fitted it to my stereo microscope and got good images too.  

Need to find a time to use it in anger to see what sort of shots I can get with my phone, never had much luck digiscoping before.

Peter

• Like 1

On 08/05/2023 at 03:09, StarDuke82 said:

Hmm I wonder if the Bluetooth shutter is better on this one? I have the Celestron NexXYZ and I can never get the bluetooth to stay paired up, also this looks a lot more stable than the NexXYZ I mean you bump it slightly or need to switch out your eyepiece and your out off alignment and need to realign and half the time you can’t get your phone to sit right in the spring loaded holder especially if you’re in a hurry.

I’ve found the Bluetooth shutter works very easily and without fuss on my iPhone.

I think the MSM Allview addresses all those things; the phone sits firmly in the clamp, parallel to the eyepiece and it doesn’t move around ie the adjustments hold firm because of the fine thread on the adjustment screws.

@PeterW where are you seeing flex, because mine seems very rigid. It’s always a balance between weight and rigidity but I think they’ve got it right.

• Like 1

I never bother with those Bluetooth things. If you have an Apple Watch like I do then that works very well as a camera remote.

On my iPhone I’ve also got a Voice Control (under Accessibility) setup for my shutter button. Handy as this means you can be completely hands free. There’s details on the internet of how to do it. Like here…

https://youtu.be/rJI38Rmjfc8

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Thanks 2

In use the phone stays put and the fine motions are very nice. But there is a bit of wiggle if you waggle it, the square metal slide plate can move about very slightly. (I’m spoilt by the totally rigid professional kinematic stages). Im very impressed overall and I’ll be bringing it with me to get photos I couldn’t before, I can bin the home brew designed-for-phone-in-case-for-one-eyepiece jigs I’ve made as this can perfectly align any phone to any eyepiece in a short time.

the Bluetooth remote worked out the box without any issue, I need to find a bit of string to stop me losing it.

peter

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Used it a couple of times in anger (although only on the moon and sun).  Very impressed.  It's very quick to setup and can accommodate a pixel6 in its case.  Very steady and doesn't move about much (except in the direction you move it) when making adjustments to positioning.  Closest I've come to an issue is forgetting how much the SV215 zoom extends when going from 8-3mm and trying to zoom it through the phone.

Enables a really fun feature:  video calling friends and family to show them stuff!

On 01/05/2023 at 21:49, Captain Scarlet said:

Just ordered one myself on the strength of this thread.

M

Could you tell me where you ordered it from please?  The link at the start of the thread didn't work for me.

Many thanks.

1 minute ago, paulastro said:

Could you tell me where you ordered it from please?  The link at the start of the thread didn't work for me.

Many thanks.

https://www.moveshootmove.com/collections/move-shoot-move-rotator/products/3-axis-smartphone-adapter-for-digiscoping-telescope-spotting-scope-adapters

Moveshootmove smartphone adapter if you need to google search.  Cheaper if ordered from the manufacturer and comes with free international shipping.

• Like 1

I have also jumped on the bandwagon and just ordered one for myself. I was getting frustrated trying to use my Pixel 6 pro with a cheap plastic phone holder as it was as rigid as cooked spaghetti.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I have also jumped on the bandwagon and just ordered one for myself. I was getting frustrated trying to use my Pixel 6 pro with a cheap plastic phone holder as it was as rigid as cooked spaghetti.

I'm using mine with a pixel 6 which should be about he same dimensions.  Holds it well with minimal movement even when tapping on the screen (I still use the bluetooth clicker thing, but the screen sometimes too)

Had a good few nights of this on the moon.  It works very well.  Imaging the moon quickly is very addictive.  With my 3-8mm zoom you can rotate the holder to adjust then power, the unlock the eyepiece in the focuser and let it rotate back down to keep the zoom locked in.

No real complaints with it.  If you are using android I suggest using proshot from the app store as it lets you manually set the parameters of the image and disable autofocus too.

PSX_20230530_232621.jpg

PSX_20230530_231727.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PeterW said:

I may be wrong but I think the initial link was for the pre release and the later the post release of the phone mount.

• 2 months later...