SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SpaceX falcon heavy.

maw lod qan

Hurried down to the spot on the drive and watched the launch.

Took SWMBO with me this time. 

It was good, but needed to be a little darker. 

Every time I see the burns for the returning boosters I am amazed!

This was a military satellite. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

Hurried down to the spot on the drive and watched the launch.

Took SWMBO with me this time. 

It was good, but needed to be a little darker. 

Every time I see the burns for the returning boosters I am amazed!

This was a military satellite. 

Must be amazing to see first hand. I watched in on a live stream, those boosters returning are the stuff of science fiction!

• Like 2

I know his satellites are a terrible issue, but hearing them say these booster landings make the successful recoveries number 162 and 163 is eye opening!

I am a big supporter of NASA and space exploration, but come on guys, 163 to 0 just shows the mentality from the old days has to change!

I saw a comparison of cost per kilo with different launch systems and the Falcon 9 is down as low as 4K per kilo, from as much as 45K.

• Like 3

That's an awesome video and stills.

I'm torn between the negatives of space junk / satellite constellations and the awesome sight of launches like that one. 

I suppose my interest dies the moment the engines shut down!

Just maybe Falcon Heavy might launch to save humanity one day after the success of DART recently.

Maybe NASA will have a bigger launch vehicle by then but in all honesty, we want something that'll actually launch...🙊🙈🙉

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Incredible! Thanks Dave.

I too am torn between amazement at and admiration for what SpaceX achieve, and loving watching their boosters land, whilst hating the thought of 40,000 satellites up there getting in the way of science and observing. It’s progress I guess.

At least I won’t live long enough to see the lights of human settlements on the Moon! 😱🤞

I'll admit I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack. The engineering and technology is way beyond me.

They made the statement that these boosters were moving slow enough to return to the Cape.

I'd guess slow enough was still several thousand miles per hour. Add that they are MILES down range, then have to turn back the opposite direction they are going, to hit a perfect landing on a bullseye!

Absolutely unbelievable!

But also, to think I could watch the launch live on a device I held in my hand is pretty amazing for someone who remembers having to use party line phones!

• Like 1