NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can I use the below to power my HEQ5?

Leti Theobald

Absolutely should do the job. I use the bigger 30A cousin and with HEQ5 (or NEQ6 Pro), cameras, dew straps, mini PC, etc., it never goes above 4A draw. Holds the voltage steady well above 12V too.

• Thanks 1

On 12/01/2023 at 22:44, Padraic M said:

Absolutely should do the job. I use the bigger 30A cousin and with HEQ5 (or NEQ6 Pro), cameras, dew straps, mini PC, etc., it never goes above 4A draw. Holds the voltage steady well above 12V too.

So I got it, now I’m trying to plug the cigarette lighter cable that came with the mount into the box but it won’t turn on. Is this not the right way?

Okay.

Turn the Nevada off and let's see how far the plug needs to go in.

• If you put something inert like a pencil in the socket to check the depth we can see if the plug is going in far enough to make contact with the central pin.
  • Shine a light in the socket to make sure it isn't missing a connection for the pin
  • Compare how far the plug needs to go in from your pencil measurement.

Hopefully, it's just a tight socket and needs to be wiggled in (sorry for technical terminology😀)

Do you have a multi-meter to see if there is any voltage in the other connections?

• Like 1

So stupid questions first - is the power light on on the PSU; is the red light on on the cigarette lighter plug? Is the Amp meter reading anything?

Is the power light on the HEQ5 coming on? If it's under-voltage, the red led will blink. If there's no led light at all, then you've probably got a cable/connection issue.

If you have a flashing HEQ5 LED or solid led, then use the handset Utilities menu; there's an option to display the voltage into the mount. It should be 12V or more.

Sometimes I have an issue with those cigarette plugs. There's a small ring around the positive tip of the plug that unscrews to take the plug apart. Make sure that it is fully tightened; and obviously make sure that it's fully inserted.

But the state of the various lights and LEDs will tell you where the problem is.
i.e.

- no light on the PSU: faulty PSU/not switched on/plugged in etc. 
- no LED on the cigarette plug: plug faulty or not fully inserted
- no light on the HEQ5: faulty cable (hopefully) or faulty HEQ5.
- flashing LED on the HEQ5: undervoltage (poor quality power cable probably)
- Solid LED on the HEQ5: check the voltage on the handset, but possibly a faulty HEQ5 motherboard, but the handset display will normally tell you if you have a HEQ5 motherboard fault.

hth, let us know how it goes.

Thank you so much, so:

There is light on the PSU

There is no light on the cable but if I insert the cable on my car cigarette lighter it lights up. 

So by elimination it’s not fully inserted but honestly I can’t insert any deeper! I’ve tried wiggling around. I’ve check the tip thing and it looks ok. Putting so pictures to see if you notice something weird. 

image.thumb.jpg.a7a17e5e898a10ae05b3ca6b45734aff.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.0af1d8f494e956c1395c97335f1b1b42.jpg

Just to update this thread. The PSU was checked out on my multimeter and was not putting any voltage out on either the 12v car socket or the banana plug connections. The fuse in the back was okay and the power switch lighs up but presumably some internal connection or internal fuse has blown.

• Like 1