Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

UK 3 pin power supply for EQ6-R Pro?

CraigD1986

I’m about to order a EQ6-R Pro and need a power supply as I’ve learned I can’t power it from my ASI Air Plus. I have a double 3 pin power socket in the garden so would like to use this. Can anyone recommend a power supply? Will this do the trick:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cigarette-Lighter-Voltage-Converter-Universal/dp/B06Y2BGRMZ/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3667DVT7VJZLU&keywords=12v+10a+power+supply+cigarette&qid=1671293336&sprefix=12v+10a+power+supply+cigarette%2Caps%2C74&sr=8-6

It'll work and I've used similar but I can highly recommend both of the Nevada power supplies that FLO sells. Yes they are more money but you can kiss goodbye to any power issues in the future., plus they can be used to power other stuff too.

Oh and the EQ6 mounts thrive on having more than 12v supplied too which was the issue I had with the brick type especially if you try to run more than just the mount.

Edited by scotty38
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

It'll work and I've used similar but I can highly recommend both of the Nevada power supplies that FLO sells. Yes they are more money but you can kiss goodbye to any power issues in the future., plus they can be used to power other stuff too.

Oh and the EQ6 mounts thrive on having more than 12v supplied too which was the issue I had with the brick type especially if you try to run more than just the mount.

Thanks for your reply. So like this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/nevada-ps-08-6a-8a-regulated-linear-power-supply.html

How would I run the ASIAir from that as well? I was hoping to not use something like this as i currently use a sealed cable box for the cables when I leave my kit out overnight and this wouldn’t fit in. Would this be safe to leave out overnight?

Edited by CraigD1986

I'm not sure what plug type the ASIAIR needs but I bought eh Silicon cables from FLO like this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-silicone-power-cable-25mm-dc-jack.html

I bought the ones with the ring tongues, one dedicated to my AZ-EQ6 and then one with a 2.1mm end for my Pegasus powerbox.

When my kit was outside I put the whole shooting match, laptop and PSU in one of the plastic toybox type of box with a lid and no issues at all.

I probably wouldn't leave it outside naked, certainly not at this time of year anyway. It says it's designed for indoor use on the instructions but they all say that and 90% of astro folk with these will be leaving them outside in some way or other.

It looks like the EQ6-R pro comes with a cigarette power cable so i can use that for now. If i want to power the ASIAir from the Nevada PSU, it looks like I’ll need a 2.1mm jack to ring-tongue connector cable but I can’t seem to find one. As the cig lighter on the PSU will be occupied by the mount

16 hours ago, scotty38 said:

Just a word of caution these supplies are designed to work indoors and certainly not out in the open. So if you are using it in an observatory then fine, but even then  I would be very concerned about dew forming.  Ideally it should be in a waterproof box. 240V and water don't mix well! 

1 hour ago, wornish said:

Just a word of caution these supplies are designed to work indoors and certainly not out in the open. So if you are using it in an observatory then fine, but even then  I would be very concerned about dew forming.  Ideally it should be in a waterproof box. 240V and water don't mix well! 

Yes I think I already said that....

Quite a few people said the mount needs a stable supply so it’s not recommended. I ordered this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/nevada-ps-08-6a-8a-regulated-linear-power-supply.html

and intend to plug the mount into the cig socket then use one of these to power the asiair:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-mount-power-cable-for-sky-watcher-mounts.html

with ring tongues to go straight on the terminals. I just realised that the asiair required 5A and this PSU supplies 6A from the terminals. Will this be okay?

On 18/12/2022 at 14:30, CraigD1986 said:

Thanks for the replies. I ordered the mound and power supply yesterday. Just looking a for a sealed box I that is big enough now

I have the Nevada power supply and not put a foot wrong in 4 years.
I put it one of THESE boxes (24L), strong as anything and plenty of room for air to circulate as they can get very hot.
71s2jWOHIGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I put a notch in one side to get the cables in and out but still be waterproof (although hopefully there is no rain whilst your gear is out) and eventually added a volt / ammeter and some plugs in the case itself.
If you go this route I can upload some images of it if that will help, very easy to do.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang

9 minutes ago, CraigD1986 said:

I just realised that the asiair required 5A and this PSU supplies 6A from the terminals. Will this be okay?

Yes that will be fine. I also use my Nevada PSU outside and like @scotty38 I keep it contained in a large Tupperware box with a secure clip lid. I wouldn’t leave it outside though and it’s easy enough to disconnect the cables and carry the box indoors.

I already have one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-IP54-Weatherproof-Electric-Box-Grey/dp/B00B0X8CYC/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3HESOGPOX37Y8&keywords=Outdoor+cable+box&qid=1671570460&sprefix=outdoor+cable+box%2Caps%2C76&sr=8-6

I’ve been using a star adventurer until now, which is powered by my ASIAir plus so I only have to have a brick style power adapter to the asiair. It fit well in this box but I think it might be a little small for the Nevada so I might need to look into an alternative. I’m hoping to be able to leave it out all night, although FLO don’t recommend doing this.

4 minutes ago, CraigD1986 said:

I’ve been using a star adventurer until now, which is powered by my ASIAir plus so I only have to have a brick style power adapter to the asiair. It fit well in this box but I think it might be a little small for the Nevada so I might need to look into an alternative. I’m hoping to be able to leave it out all night, although FLO don’t recommend doing this.

I have always left mine outside all night and in the box I mentioned has been fine. Just take usual precautions with any mains equipment used outside and have on a proper RCD circuit,  and use proper sockets designed for use outdoors.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang