Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I found a Double Star!

I'm sure of it!

Last night, in the northern sky, right in the region of Cor Caroli, according to Stellarium... But I can't find it in any of my star charts!

Anyone know the one I'm talking about? It was quite exciting, as I was just browsing the sky with my 32mm EP, and saw this star that looked a little odd. Got my 6mm ep on it, and it looked kinda elongated, and then I threw in the 2x barlow, and it turned out to be two stars incredibly close together! First time I've found something "by accident"!

If nobody else has ever seen this, can I name it? Should I report it to the Royal Astronomical Society first, or straight to the Nobel Prize commitee?

I was using my Skywatcher 130pm. Looking at Starry Night 5 Pro, HIP63317 looks like it's just about exactly in the right spot. How far apart are these two stars? I mean in degrees, not in actual distance... They were quite tough to keep centred, even with my EQ mount. Saying that, I am pretty sure I wasn't lined up on Polaris..... Hmmm....

If it is the star HIP63317 that the pair STF1702.

Although that doesn't fit DO's observation as the pair are listed as being 36" apart. and would need a magnification of x200 to split.

Rgds

Ian

CW

I agree with you about the possibilty of it being HIP63317/22 it ius just that being that wide should be splitable at less then x100 magnification.

DO

If it is clear tonight have another go and see if you can split this at lower mag.

If you get a chance try to draw a sketch.

Cheers

Ian

A sketch? Easy. Here it is:

:

Looked something like that colon there. Like I said, with the 32 it looked a bit queer, with the 6mm it was definately more than just a star, and with the barlow it was two, just slightly closer together than the above pictured double. After I'd seen it with the barlow, and I went back to the 6mm on its own, I could just about make out that it was two...

Archived