SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mars (and an 'eagle head') 18th November 2022

Kon

I had some decent seeing around 1am last night. Mars is getting larger and easier to focus on features. This is my first attempt on trying Winjupos with Mars; two captures 4min each derotated. I feel it has brought more features out. There is also a new brighter white area at around 9-7 o'clock that was evident even before sharpening on the two individual captures. I hope it is not oversharpened, happy for comments as always. On a funny side, I also noticed that if I rotate the image 90 degrees it looks like an eagle's or rooster's head 🤣. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mc, 2.5x TV powermate. Resized 120%.

image.png.8acc437461b3d937e60c94a9ec71f0b9.png

image.png.da09b76b49c9bc6a5cff78dc48f8e9a2.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 13

51 minutes ago, Kon said:

I had some decent seeing around 1am last night. Mars is getting larger and easier to focus on features. This is my first attempt on trying Winjupos with Mars; two captures 4min each derotated. I feel it has brought more features out. There is also a new brighter white area at around 9-7 o'clock that was evident even before sharpening on the two individual captures. I hope it is not oversharpened, happy for comments as always. On a funny side, I also noticed that if I rotate the image 90 degrees it looks like an eagle's or rooster's head 🤣. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mc, 2.4x TV powermate. Resized 120%.

image.png.8acc437461b3d937e60c94a9ec71f0b9.png

image.png.da09b76b49c9bc6a5cff78dc48f8e9a2.png

Yes can see the brightening, nice capture. Wall to wall cloud here.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

I love it Kostas, the Eagle has landed on Mars, 53+ years after the Moon.....🤣. Nice capture BTW

Thanks Geof, much appreciated. Yes the Eagle has landed . My wife thinks it looks like an armadillo 🤪.

(weather was no go for Jupiter with the CH4 filter last night; maybe tonight)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Yes can see the brightening, nice capture. Wall to wall cloud here.

Thanks Neil. I was surprised not to see a post from you todays as it was fairly steady last night....☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️explains it 😪. Fingers crossed you get a break tonight.

Ah love it, great detail & the eagle to 🦅

I'm jealous , you must have had some steady conditions, although the Jetstream is just below us mine is still bouncing around like a pin ball machine.

Love the image 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yelsac said:

Ah love it, great detail & the eagle to 🦅

I'm jealous , you must have had some steady conditions, although the Jetstream is just below us mine is still bouncing around like a pin ball machine.

Love the image 👍

Nice eagle high resolution 🤣. I could not quite a sharp focus I think due to some influence from the Jetstream. It's looking good tonight but a lot of dew.

53 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Super captures! Wall to wall rain here. Maybe if I got a manual Dob I'd have more luck with the weather 😉

Thanks. I think we all need to move to the dessert or at least somewhere with not many clouds 😂.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Astroscot2 said:

Kon. Regarding your capture method, with the dob, are you letting Mars drift through the FOV during capture or do you have the dob on a tracking platform?  Very nice image BTW

Mark

Thanks. Yes fully manual with drift method using a 640x480 ROI; I don't pause in between recentring, I let PIPP sort the blanks or bad images before putting it Autostakert for further sorting and stacking. Platform is the next upgrade.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kon said:

Thanks. Yes fully manual with drift method using a 640x480 ROI; I don't pause in between recentring, I let PIPP sort the blanks or bad images before putting it Autostakert for further sorting and stacking. Platform is the next upgrade.

You are getting great results with this method

• Thanks 1