NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can someone tell me what kind of telescope this is please?

Hi can someone tell me what kind of telescope this is it was bought for my by my dad before his passing I’ve only been able to handle it. 
also there is no manual for it, is it possible to find one online I’d like to find out the stats about it.

Many thanks 

Ken

FD501C16-56CF-4B5B-94B7-D27909DB0A81.jpeg

BC156FEB-9240-4ED4-A73B-DE07FE0332A5.jpeg

173A4AD2-CED8-4BCA-83CB-989E1138E01B.jpeg

93078AE5-705E-4A18-9E5D-91AD21687DBA.jpeg

The telescope is a Skywatcher Skyhawk 114/1000 (aperture 114mm, focal length 1000mm) on an EQ1 mount. This particular telescope is a bit shorter than 1000mm and uses a corrector lens mounted in the focuser to correct the focal length and spherical aberrations created by the telescopes spherical main mirror. The generic manual for this telescope can be found at

146.pdf (opticalvision.co.uk) . The manual covers a range of telescopes using the EQ1 mount.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The telescope is a Skywatcher Skyhawk 114/1000 (aperture 114mm, focal length 1000mm) on an EQ1 mount. This particular telescope is a bit shorter than 1000mm and uses a corrector lens mounted in the focuser to correct the focal length and spherical aberrations created by the telescopes spherical main mirror. The generic manual for this telescope can be found at

146.pdf (opticalvision.co.uk) . The manual covers a range of telescopes using the EQ1 mount.

peter you beat me to it as i added some text to post

13 minutes ago, Kenny2605 said:

Is there anyway to correct that or is it a matter of getting a diff ent telescope for that? Is so what type would be required? What mirrors? 

it's the nature of them unless you look for an image rectifying eyepiece or prism and at the price they want for these just get used to using the scope as is you soon get used to it... If looking for a great book search for "Turn left at Orion" to get you started

• Thanks 1

Is there additional eye pieces I can get for magnification there’s 2x Barlow lens,super 25wide angle and super 10mm lens? Also can I get universal lens? Or strictly skywatcher lens? 

2x Barlow Lens

Super 25 Wide Angle long eye relief

Super 10mm 

21 minutes ago, Kenny2605 said:

Is there additional eye pieces I can get for magnification there’s 2x Barlow lens,super 25wide angle and super 10mm lens? Also can I get universal lens? Or strictly skywatcher lens? 

2x Barlow Lens

Super 25 Wide Angle long eye relief

Super 10mm 

try the scope with the std lens supplied then look at https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bst-starguider-eyepieces.html they are a reasonable addition and better than the stock one's. Better to try the scope as is and then descide your way forward rathe r than throwing money away...

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kenny2605 said:

Are all the lens there compatible? 

Hi and welcome.

If you can let us know what your interests are and what you intend to use the telescope for, then we can provide better guidance.

eg. For astronomical observations we are not fussed about whether the object is upright, but for terrestrial viewing you would like to use an erecting eyepiece.

Also an equatorial mount such as what you have is more suited for astro viewing as its motion follows the rotation of the stars in the heavens.

As to your question on eyepieces most telescopes (such as yours) use 1.25inch eyepieces, so look out for those.

HTH. 🙂

Ken, there is a great, a greatest benefit actually, in the image being inverted with open-air reflectors, like Newtonians, and our catadioptric-reflectors.  I have a 127/1000, just the next size up from your own.  Both are known, colloquially, as a "Bird Jones" telescope...

finis2b.jpg.5139a375f326cfc875fbf72f82617d70.jpg

Ours are loose interpretations, knock-offs of the original design, and from the 1940s.  

The benefit?  Open-air reflectors are not suitable for daylight, terrestrial observations, hence they are not likely to be outside when the Sun is up, therefore little to no chance of one being accidentally pointed at same; for safety.

Our catadioptrics are infamous, notorious, for being particularly difficult to collimate, when compared to classical Newtonians.  I got mine collimated.  I hope yours is, too.

I think the many response can be best summed up as follows.

In daylight, point the scope at a distant object. TV aerial, roof line, etc and align the finder to the main tube.
Take the scope out on a clear(ish) night, Look for some really easy targets.
Moon, Jupiter is well placed in the evening sky.
Use the 25mm eyepiece and centre the object. Then go to the 10mm eyepiece and see how things look.
Forget the barlow lens for now.

After this you will have bunch of questions related to using the EQ5 mount, which eyepiece, etc.
No money spent so far😁

HTH, David.

17 hours ago, Kenny2605 said:

So it’s definitely an eq1 with this telescope? should the images be the right way up? I’ve read somewhere that some telescopes the images are upside down? 

There is a full discussion on the topic of image inversion in a Newtonian reflector here:

It seems to cause a lot of confusion, even in here.

Yeah. A Newtonian-type telescope (including things like Bird-Jones and Maksutov-Newtonian telescopes) will produce a rotated image, but exactly what the rotation is depends on the orientation of the eyepiece and the observer's eye. It's not really practical to get a correct image with one.

For astronomical use I pretty quickly got the hang of it.

• Like 1