Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fixing Celestron Handset Problem

Geoffw

I have a problem with my Celestron StarSense Handset where the cable enters the handset.  It still works but the black (Coiled) shielding cable has become detached revealing the internal cabling.  I initially tried fixing from the outside but failed.

So I  carefully opened the handset and pushed the loose end of the black coiled cable back into the case and wound some insulation tape around it on the inside.  Unfortunately, as you can see from the image this hasn't worked, as he insulation tape has not held it.  Before I start dabbling with the superglue.  Has anyone else got a fix for this?

PXL_20221109_074720922.jpg

10 minutes ago, Geoffw said:

I have a problem with my Celestron StarSense Handset where the cable enters the handset.  It still works but the black (Coiled) shielding cable has become detached revealing the internal cabling.  I initially tried fixing from the outside but failed.

So I  carefully opened the handset and pushed the loose end of the black coiled cable back into the case and wound some insulation tape around it on the inside.  Unfortunately, as you can see from the image this hasn't worked, as he insulation tape has not held it.  Before I start dabbling with the superglue.  Has anyone else got a fix for this?

PXL_20221109_074720922.jpg

I don't know if you can get some heatshrink sleeving over it?

Don't think so.  The end goes into a rectangular connector on the board.  I'm not sure how to remove it, but if i did I don't think the sleeve would slip over the end.

Edited by Geoffw

Is that just a grommet in the case that the cable pushes thru or part of the cable outer insulation?

I'd not use superglue, it likely won't hold in any case depending on what materials the cable outer and grommet are made of. You could see if you can get a suitable clamping grommet such as:

iplusmile 20 Pcs Round Cable Wire Strain Relief Bush Grommet Electric Cord Strain Bushing Protection Buckle Clamp Glands Connectors : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Or feed the cable back thru the grommet and use a cable tie on the inner side so it can't slip out again. You'd need enough of the outer fed thru and nip the cable tie up tight but should work ok.

A clamping grommet seems the answer, however the one you suggest looks a bit large and there is little internal space in the handset case. https://www.amazon.co.uk/iplusmile-Grommet-Electric-Protection-Connectors/dp/B08VGFP85M/ref=sr_1_7?crid=H0K44XZLE5SN&keywords=cable+grommet+clamp&qid=1667986534&sprefix=cable+grommet+clamp%2Caps%2C116&sr=8-7

1 hour ago, michael8554 said:

Repeat pushing the cable back into the grommet.

And put a small zip-tie on the cable to act as a stop to prevent it pulling back out.

Michael

I thought about that but I thinks a zip tie would also slip as my insulation tape obviously did.

7 minutes ago, Geoffw said:

I thought about that but I thinks a zip tie would also slip as my insulation tape obviously did.

If you push the outer sleeve of the cable back through the grommet and then use a small cable tie pulled tight to prevent the sleeve and cable from pulling back.  If the tie is pulled tight enough it won't came off or work lose

• Like 1

Fixed!  as advised took the back off and used the smallest cable tie I could find as there is little space between the back of the display and the case.  I also shaped a tiny  bit of a match d pushed that into the cable end prior to fitting the  cable tie. Seems to have done the trick as everything feel solid now.

Thanks for the advice.