Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

At A Crossroads...

Ian McCallum

1 hour ago, Jules Tohpipi said:

I think the hardest step is the first one out the front door. Once outside the door everything seems easier. 

I’ve recently downsized after some time off. The 10” Goto dob had become too big and cumbersome for frequent viewing and my back. Now I’ve acquired a mak and ST102 and it’s cooking on gas once again. 

It’s supposed to be fun, right? Not a chore, challenge or commitment. Otherwise no incentive to stand up and grab the door handle - especially when the clear nights get really cold outside. Sometimes I think we get so wrapped up in what’s possible that we set ourselves unreasonable daily challenges. 

Maybe have fun with your dob for a while and take the full rig out only when you’re in the mood for it. 

You're right, getting the motivation to move is the hardest part. That and chasing software issues for hours, doesn't help either... 

26 minutes ago, Alan White said:

There is no backwards in returning to Visual Astronomy and keeping it very simple.
Simple works, has very few foibles and just works.
Good luck with the changes and hope it now works in a better way for you.

Yep, doesn't require batteries, tricky software, etc. 😉

56 minutes ago, Ian McCallum said:

chasing software issues for hours

Get an Asiair, trust me, it just works. Another one of those purchases which I put under best purchase ever. The only other thing I think you'll need is a small guidescope, and an EQ mod cable and a 12v adaptor to power the asiair if it's a gen 2 or 3 (the gen 1 you can power with a usb power bank). I can build PCs and troubleshoot them hardware and software, I have used an RPI with astroberry. The asiair simplifies everything, user interface, control, everything. Little to no faffing around finding and configuring things, some people might like taking up time to do this, I don't, I want to spend the time imaging. I set up and break down every time, so my time is even more critical.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Elp said:

Get an Asiair, trust me, it just works. Another one of those purchases which I put under best purchase ever. The only other thing I think you'll need is a small guidescope, and an EQ mod cable and a 12v adaptor to power the asiair if it's a gen 2 or 3 (the gen 1 you can power with a usb power bank). I can build PCs and troubleshoot them hardware and software, I have used an RPI with astroberry. The asiair simplifies everything, user interface, control, everything. Little to no faffing around finding and configuring things, some people might like taking up time to do this, I don't, I want to spend the time imaging. I set up and break down every time, so my time is even more critical.

I've been using Astroberry on the RPi 4 with 2GB of RAM, as that's all that was available at the time. Again, I'm loathed to throw more money at AP.

On 08/11/2022 at 10:55, 900SL said:

I can totally understand. Having recently moved back to Finland I seriously question why anybody spends big money on this hobby 😂

Ive been back over a week and I've not even seen the sun yet, nevermind stars!  I can see the attractions in visual. Simpler, cheaper, ready for action, waay less commitment in equipment, time and effort

I've always thought that a sobering metric would be cost per photograph!  Perhaps we all should have a spreadsheet updating with each purchase and photograph to show cost/number of photograph index :)  Perhaps it would be beyond sobering, maybe scary! Certainly all too easy to get carried away but there does seem to be a healthy attitude and support in the community for second hand kit and that can help mitigate the cost.  Anyway what is the alternative - there is only so much whisky to drink :)  

Jim 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, saac said:

I've always thought that a sobering metric would be cost per photograph!  Perhaps we all should have a spreadsheet updating with each purchase and photograph to show cost/number of photograph index :)  Perhaps it would be beyond sobering, maybe scary! Certainly all too easy to get carried away but there does seem to be a healthy attitude and support in the community for second hand kit and that can help mitigate the cost.  Anyway what is the alternative - there is only so much whisky to drink :)  

Jim 

I've got a few second hand items, bought from members on here.👍

• Like 1