Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Televue 32mm Plossl - Best eyepiece ever !

Jarvo

Im looking for 32mm plossls to use in my Denk bino with a Quark filter for solar viewing. My question is who manufactures the Denkmeier eyepiece and are they as good as a televue?

I doubt Denkmeier will ever divulge who manufactures their equipment unless they own a captive factory like the big boys (Nikon, Pentax, Zeiss, Olympus, Leica, etc.) in which case they'd probably proudly tout that.  They do claim to be assembled in USA, for whatever that's worth these days.  I haven't seen any head-to-head comparisons reported.

There's also the older pseudo-Masuyama 30mm Plossls with 5 elements that a lot of folks like, though I haven't read about them being used for solar viewing.  They're only available used as Celestron Ultima, Parks Gold, Baader Eudiascopic, Orion Ultrascopic, etc.

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 09:47, Louis D said:

There's also the older pseudo-Masuyama 30mm Plossls with 5 elements that a lot of folks like, though I haven't read about them being used for solar viewing.  They're only available used as Celestron Ultima, Parks Gold, Baader Eudiascopic, Orion Ultrascopic, etc.

Takahashi LEs   seem still available new, but they cost inbetween TV Delites and Naglers T6 ?

2 hours ago, SpaceWalker said:

Takahashi LEs   seem still available new, but they cost inbetween TV Delites and Naglers T6 ?

I read some good comments about the 30mm Tak LE, but never tried one.

Said this the 32mm TV plossl is very good and costs quite a lot less. In most scopes, these eyepieces are used for observing at low power. At long exit pupils, stars are generally tight and details well defined. Personally, at these focal lengths, I am more fussy about  off-axis performance, and the TV one works very well on this.

Regarding 1.25" eyepieces, whilst I like my 32mm TV plossl - which is actually the best plossl I've ever had, in my opinion it is just a plossl in the end of the day. I prefer the 24 Pan. 

• Like 1

When I dropped my Televue 32mm Plossl on a concrete floor and when picking it up saw the eye lens had cracked my bottom lip came out and a tear formed in the corner of my eye. That was more than ten years ago and I have never forgotten the feeling I had as it hit the floor. I used it in an 80f5 and I had so much fun with these two. I remember using them on the Canary islands and the wide view and contrast took my breath away, never forgot that view either.

• 2 months later...
On 31/03/2009 at 12:19, Jarvo said:

OK so maybe some might disagree.

I took the plunge last week an purchased my first Televue eyepiece.

I wanted a low power eyepiece as I have a 150mm Skywatcher Mak (focal length 1800mm) which is spot on for bright things but struggles with the standard eyepieces provided with the telescope when looking for fainter objects.

Started out looking at Mizar - pin point stars right to the edge of the field of view.

Then moved onto M35 in Gemini. The number of stars was truely awesome. Stars were sprikled over the field of view. Mesmerising.

Then moved onto the Moon. Viewed the Moon with the AE Apochromatic Barlow. Details were unbelievably crisp. Spent ages studying the Lunar Surface.

Next went onto Saturn with the Televue and Barlow. I though this would give me good magnification whilst the Barlow corrected any chromatic abberation. Again Saturn was point point sharp with a hint of the Cassinin division visable as well as a number of moons (I counted six).

As for the eyepiece itsself, even though it is one of the less expensive Televue products, it really is a quality piece of craftmanship. From the coatings on the glass to the green line on the barrel this really is an excellent eyepiece.

I suppose my point is this. There are cheaper eyepieces out there but the Televue ones really are a class apart. (And yes I am on a budget which is why I'm not reviewing an Ethos !!)

Hope this helps anyone considering their next eyepiece.

Jarvo

It's my favorite TeleVue Plössl.  It's 49.5°, and the edge illumination is a tad vignetted, but that doesn't matter when you look through it.  You may acquire a lot more eyepieces in upcoming years, but this one should stay with you.

There aren't many eyepieces like this one I regret selling, but this is one of them.  Of course, I can always get another, LOL.

17 hours ago, Jarvo said:

Where have the last 10 years gone !

Jarvo

So, do you still have and use the 32mm TV Plossl after all these years?  I still have my 5.2mm Pentax XL from 1998 that I use regularly.  The 14mm XL has been supplanted by multiple others in that range, as has my 9mm Vixen LV, both from 1997/1998 when I started out.

21 hours ago, Louis D said:

So, do you still have and use the 32mm TV Plossl after all these years?  I still have my 5.2mm Pentax XL from 1998 that I use regularly.  The 14mm XL has been supplanted by multiple others in that range, as has my 9mm Vixen LV, both from 1997/1998 when I started out.

I sure do Louise. It’s the first eyepiece I use on an evening. When I first bought it it was the lowest mag I could practically use and having a mak ie a slower scope meant I didn’t need a nagler or a panoptic at the time (yes I am a slave to the green and black). Now with the Esprit 100 it’s made it the biggest finder scope in the world but still fabulous to use for wide field stuff. 

Im currently waiting like a crouching tiger for a TV sale to kick off as I’ve got my eye on an Ethos Sx  

Jarvo

• Like 1