Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 2022 Challenge 11 - Reflection Nebulosity

I'm posting this not with any expectations.   Moonlight earlier on last night, poor seeing bloating the stars then went hazy, so a lot of noise.  But it hasn't been imaged in this competition, so for completeness... Barnard 205 containing NGC1333 and the reflection nebula VdB 17.  I got a much better image in 2014 with my 10" RC.  But rather too soon for this competition 😜  Anyway, this was with my QSI683 on Sharpstar140.  Luminance 14 x 5 minutes, RGB each 9 x 5 minutes all binned 2x2

Best of luck to the winner - I know which one I would choose and it ain't mine!

Cheers,

Peter

B205.jpg

Edited by petevasey
Corrected spelling mistake!
  • Like 2

I'll add my image to mix. Total of about 14 hours integration taken at the same time on two scopes and mounts. Part OSC on a 115mm triplet and part mono on a 90mm triplet. IC447 and IC2167, both quite dim and not ideal targets from bortle 6. All imaged on 25th January.

Edited to have my 'triffid' the right way up!😄

IC2169-LRGB_AP3.jpg

Edited by Clarkey
Changed picture (again)
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

I'll add my image to mix. Total of about 14 hours integration taken at the same time on two scopes and mounts. Part OSC on a 115mm triplet and part mono on a 90mm triplet. IC447 and IC2167, both quite dim and not ideal targets from bortle 6. All imaged on 25th January.

I hope I'll be forgiven for commenting.  Lovely target, which  I imaged  in 2017, but rotated 90 deg clockwise from the above.  And called it the 'Triffid nebula' - yes, I mean Triffid, not Trifid.  And perhaps you can see why...

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Clarkey said:

Edited to have my 'triffid' the right way up!😄

Actually in your image now you've altered it, North is down, and the triffid has its head in the ground 🙃  Much safer that way! But thanks for appreciating my little joke!

Cheers,  Peter

• Haha 1

IC2177 - the Seagull Nebula. I guess this is most often shot as a narrowband target, and you might not expect to see it in a reflection nebulosity challenge, but there's all sorts going on when you image this in broadband. I actually shot this as a 2 panel mosaic, and the main image is larger, but I have produced this cropped version to focus on the wide range of reflection nebulae to be found around the main emission nebula. For me, anyway, this reflection nebulosity qualifies as a key feature! It's mostly concentrated around the Sharpless designated nebulae Sh2-292, 293, 295, 296, 297, but there's quite a lot more visible too.

RASA 11 on CEM120, ASI2400MC Pro, 233 x 30s.   Taken on 20th January here in Llanfynydd, Carmarthenshire, Bortle 3. 

Seagull 210120 reflection crop stretch.jpg

Seagull 210120 reflection crop stretch annotate.jpg

• Like 7

Here's 10hrs 50mins of data on the Witch Head Nebula, taken over 3 nights after it pops above my neighbours house and then before it drops below 20 degrees.  I was looking towards my local town so there was a fair gradient.  Taken in 300s exposures with the 2600MC and the Baader Moon & Skyglow filter.  I used the Redcat51 on my slightly tweaked AVX mount. 

All processed in Siril, Gimp, StarnetV2 and Topaz.  I've flipped the image to give the classic Witches face.

Final_1_low.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The quite unprecedented number of clear nights over the past week or so allow me to get another one in under the wire from my current period concentrating on reflection nebula.  This is my LRGB version of NGC1333 taken across a number of nights in January with my TS Optics 130 Photoline Triplet APO and QHY268M with Antlia Pro LRGB filters, mounted on my Losmandy G11.  A total of 26 hours under Bortle 5 skies comprising 11 hours luminance and 5 hours each of RGB. Processed in PixInsight.

NGC1333_LRGB-26hrs_Final.thumb.png.a613d69ec9f3f6209dc2eb1b47491e3f.png

• Like 6

Here’s my addition to the M45 entries. Really struggled with processing this. From gradients to dust, I never expected how challenging it would be, but I’ve learned a lot from it. Nothing beats integration time and this really needs more but happy with what I have for 3hrs here. Shot with a Tak FS60 (0.72x reducer) and ASI2600 MC.

60x180s

Processed in PixInsight and Photoshop. 

5893EE84-2769-4B63-94A0-33450CD951E0.thumb.jpeg.d45e6862a2f3b580dba072474ba7989c.jpeg

Edited by Icesheet
  • Like 5

Some great processing herein. I went for a different look.

I've read its pretty much madness to try to attempt to image M78 from anything over a Bortle 4, so naturally I decided to point my C6 at it and shoot over industrial light pollution (literally if its cloudy the direction it is it looks like theyre doing a mass excavation, the light pollution is that bad). I didn't alter the colour too much, it's pretty much the colour the camera saw and I assume quite similar to the hint of colour you may see visually (I wish to see it one day). Pre processed in Siril and finished with Starnet and manually within GIMP and PS. I tried adding the stars back in but preferred this starless look as it looks a bit like a traditional oil painting from the likes of Turner or from one of the Baroque masters. The light from the internal stars light up the surrounding structure very well and the dark cloud draw your eyes into and around the field of composition and make you wonder what lies further out beyond the frame.

Best enjoyed on an OLED screen.

1103241777_M78-Jan2023-doimg-Copy.thumb.jpg.43125c50c754b170b8a152086aa0f093.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...