SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just a little experiment on the Dark Shark.

simmo39

The Dark Shark is another of the targets I think of as one for the big boys, but with a couple of clearish nights last week I set about seeing how faint this thing is and what was the least amount of subs I could get away with and still get some sort of image. Well, its faint! and the sky on the nights wasnt the best. Think that a lot of high cloud gave me some very strange halos to the brighter stars which I have tried to reduce the best I can, also I have had to use the sledge hammer approach to noise reduction. So here it is 75 x 180s subs bashed and kicked to an inch of its life in PI. Im not sure if i should carry on with it or start a fresh on a better night of seeing.

52461541112_24144f0352_b.jpg

C and C welcome. Thanks for looking.

• Like 12

A good effort here, particularly given the difficulties of the conditions. I've never attempted this one myself, but l did look for it once, to try and get an idea of framing with my setup - took several test exposures and saw absolutely nothing at all, not even a hint of nebulosity. I decided to move on to something easier after that 😁

The cropped image looks to have a different colour balance which I think looks a bit better, the full image has a magenta-ish tone to my eye.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

A good effort here, particularly given the difficulties of the conditions. I've never attempted this one myself, but l did look for it once, to try and get an idea of framing with my setup - took several test exposures and saw absolutely nothing at all, not even a hint of nebulosity. I decided to move on to something easier after that 😁

The cropped image looks to have a different colour balance which I think looks a bit better, the full image has a magenta-ish tone to my eye.

Hi and thanks for the comments, Boy is it faint! I had to really push the stretches to see anything at all and by doing that I created a load of other problems ( colour and star halos ). I think I would give it another go but next time Ill go for shorter subs and a lot lot more!

• Like 1

Nice one, I managed something with a RASA8 and an IMX571c from my Bortle 5/6 location but imaging the shark with same kit from a Bortle 3 site was literally a revelation, a better result with only 25% of the integration time.

• Like 1

Hi and thanks, I didnt think I would get anything from my location with Bortle 4/5 sky but hey its there. Very rough and ready but I cant complain due to the short time on target. Like I said I just wish the star halos weren't there.

2 hours ago, powerlord said:

looks good to me. yeh  - looks like some high cloud or some morning fog. Now you know it's doable though it's easy to have another go. Looks like  clear tonight for the first time in ages...

Thanks. Clear but the pesky moon is about! 

This is the target which is on my "Next list".

I am using 130PDS + ASI1600MM...

The main problem, - Bortle7ish skies with the street lights so I cannot do long LRGB exposures....

Should I even try collecting around 8h of data (total)? I plan to check if it will show something in the Narrow Band first.

Edited by RolandKol
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

This is the target which is on my "Next list".

The main problem, - Bortle7ish skies with the street lights so I cannot do long LRGB exposures....

Should I even try collecting around 8h of data (total)? I plan to check if it will show something in the Narrow Band first.

I only tried as an experiment not expecting to get anything. I have slightly darker skies than you but I would say give it ago. As for the narrow band on this target Im not sure there is much there but all I can say is give it ago.

• Like 1

Very nice result, yes it is faint.  

Bit big for the 130PDS and I would say too faint for Bortle 7.  I sturggled at Bortle 4. 

Carole 

• Thanks 1