NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope in carry-on luggage?

Ags

35 minutes ago, Ags said:

I assume airlines are ok with this, and they won't see my weighty 90mm as a blunt edged security risk?

I have taken telescope sized camera lenses as carryon without any issue. I wouldn't expect a problem with a telescope.

• Like 1

I have taken 2 different scopes to NZ via varoius stop overs, so security checks in UK,  Dubai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia as well as NZ. In each case the hand luggage was picked off by scan for opening.  Once shown that it was a telescope and eyepieces it was waved through wthout issue. They are used to recognising camera kits and binoculars.

It's not the airlines but the airport security who will check. Be prepared to turn on any electronic device and check what battery types can be carried either in hold or hand luggage.

BTW a ZS66 was liked, but the Questar got a 'wow ' from security !

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ags said:

I assume airlines are ok with this, and they won't see my weighty 90mm as a blunt edged security risk?

I've travelled lots of times with a setup like this and never had any issues. I now usually have the Mount Zero instead of the AZ-GTi - the Zero being a bit more blunt object like - and still no issues. It's been 'pulled over' so to speak in the bag x-ray lane a few times but mostly the security guards are just admiring the scope.

20220714_151839.thumb.jpg.75fbb429d6fd6251acaa9e044dbb1e74.jpg

• Like 4

I think this is my packing list:

Hand luggage: Long Perng 90, Laptop, ASI485MC, Talentcell battery, torch (maybe????), NPL 30 mm, ES68 20 mm, ES82 6.7 mm, SLV 6mm, 2x barlow, 0.5 reducer

Hold: RACI 50 mm, AZ-GTI, carbon fibre tripod, USB cable for camera (forgotten last trip 🙄) mouse, talentcell charger, laptop charger

Edited by Ags
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ags said:

Solved the torch problem: red.png is now my phone lock screen. 

I know it is too late, but it just occurred to me that this could be very useful, if red light, ( or lack of ) is a problem: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Petzl-Lite-Headlamp-Black-Size/dp/B01KYTR0HM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1SCVPDB5VQM39&keywords=petzl+e%2Blite+head+torch&qid=1666816780&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjI3IiwicXNhIjoiMS4xNiIsInFzcCI6IjAuODAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=petzl+e%2B%2Caps%2C73&sr=8-1

It is tiny, runs on watch batteries, ( CR 2032 ) will last ages on red and will attach to your belt. I would highly recommend. Sorry it is too late... :embarassed:

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ags said:

I am through security, although to my horror they swiped the objective lens with a chemical sniffer wand! Why? WHY???

Aaaaargh!

Noooo. Unlikely to have caused harm tho. 

I suppose it could have been worse….

• Like 1

This uses a PP9, so  NiMh or an ordinary disposable battery which is fine and can go anywhere. The tricky ones are those rechargeable power packs for cameras, laptops, phones etc and dont forget you have to be able to turn on any device they request.  Most of these are lithium (L ion etc. ) Since you will be weight watching on the hand luggage there is a strong temptation to put thse bricks in hold luggage, contrary to IATA .

Loads of people probabaly have done that and had 'no problem'. BUT in  my travels I have had 2 pieces of hold luggage random checked*. Into USA a security note put in to advise they had looked and repacked, very carefully too. In transit through Belgium, when the Bs did not put it back on my plane.....it came a day later but caused a real nuisance.

You are right to be cautious. If luggage content fails a random check, it can be a real pain. You even have to pay to get stuff back.

* They wil just break locks if not the approved type but they will replace cable ties if you use them.

Are you having a god time 🙂

Yes the power pack for the AZ-GTI is flight-safe and always goes in hand luggage. We travel up to the farm house this evening, but currently no clear skies are forecast. The main reason for bringing the scope was that if I didn't, there would certainly have been clear skies the entire stay 🤣

• Haha 1

After dinner we had a patchy but viable sky between spells of rain, so I coaxed the family out for some stargazing. Breaks in the clouds revealed the Milky Way, Jupiter, Albireo, the Pleiades and Mars. I didn't have a chance to cool the scope but the views of Jupiter were pretty nice.

Hopefully tomorrow I can find an outside chair for more comfortable viewing and find time for proper cooling.

• Like 3