NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 21st Oct

neil phillips

Got a few more to run through. Seeing showed air flowing as usual but detail was still coming through 

Orion 245mm Newtonian. QHY 462 C.  ZWO ADC. Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow. Baader UV IR Cut. SW EQ5 Pro mount. 150 resample downsized to 75%

2022-10-20-2309_1-DeRot Last.png b.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 10

That's turned out really well Neil, I look forward to seeing the others. I saw the sky was clear last night, but I'd already packed a lot of my gear for an astro week in the Cotswolds that I'm heading to tomorrow, so I didn't open up. I'm a bit miffed about being away next week, as it will also mean missing the double Moon transit on Tuesday evening.

5 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

That's turned out really well Neil, I look forward to seeing the others. I saw the sky was clear last night, but I'd already packed a lot of my gear for an astro week in the Cotswolds that I'm heading to tomorrow, so I didn't open up. I'm a bit miffed about being away next week, as it will also mean missing the double Moon transit on Tuesday evening.

Have a good one Geof. Seeing wasn't the best, but detail and focus was good. Thanks

• Like 1

Appreciated Stuart and Craig

It's a odd night i can show examples if anyone's interested how bad an air flow going from left to right is on these images. really quite powerful disturbance. Yet detail underneath this strong airflow is excellent. Through careful processing I seem to be pulling it out. 

Here's another from earlier in the night. 

try.png

• Like 3

9 hours ago, neil phillips said:

It's a odd night i can show examples if anyone's interested how bad an air flow going from left to right is on these images.

Hi Neil, yes, please show what you're seeing plus how you identify/assess that effect, it will be very educational.

41 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Hi Neil, yes, please show what you're seeing plus how you identify/assess that effect, it will be very educational.

Ok its good discussion as i don't totally understand it myself. Here is a 1000 frame section at the start of the film up top. which was one of the calmer ones. Had to save as AVI because SER for some reason keeps converting to 50 FPS  and it affects the appearance. The capture has 200 frames per second and avi portrays that accurately. Will have to watch on reduced size window on your chosen avi player. or you won't be able to see correctly (it will be huge)  Just not full screen is what i mean. or the image will be resized to fit. 

You can clearly see what looks like a fast jet stream running from left to right. No jet stream was on the map that night, and another member reported good seeing. There is good detail under the air stream as can be seen on the capture and finished image I've posted. My best guess is either a jet stream or heat from house rooftops but i am unsure. What's also interesting is although the problem is quite bad the result still looks quite good. Suggesting either the effect isn't as damaging as what it might appear. or my processing technique is helping cope with it. Or a little of both??. A earlier example attached when it was at its worst 

00_06_05.ser_F00001-01000.zip 23_40_41.ser_F00001-01000.zip

Edited by neil phillips
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Ok its good discussion as i don't totally understand it myself. Here is a 1000 frame section at the start of the film up top. which was one of the calmer ones. Had to save as AVI because SER for some reason keeps converting to 50 FPS  and it affects the appearance. The capture has 200 frames per second and avi portrays that accurately. Will have to watch on reduced size window on your chosen avi player. or you won't be able to see correctly (it will be huge)  Just not full screen is what i mean. or the image will be resized to fit. 

You can clearly see what looks like a fast jet stream running from left to right. No jet stream was on the map that night, and another member reported good seeing. There is good detail under the air stream as can be seen on the capture and finished image I've posted. My best guess is either a jet stream or heat from house rooftops but i am unsure. What's also interesting is although the problem is quite bad the result still looks quite good. Suggesting either the effect isn't as damaging as what it might appear. or my processing technique is helping cope with it. Or a little of both??. 

00_06_05.ser_F00001-01000.zip 364.59 MB · 2 downloads 23_40_41.ser_F00001-01000.zip 416.84 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks Neil, I have of course seen that effect, but never really paid much attention to the direction of the flow, so thanks for drawing my attention to it. I do wonder if that represents what I've referred to as 'laminar flow' in other discussions, i.e., smooth, not turbulent air flow, hence allowing detail to come through, despite the fast moving stream... 🤔🤷‍♂️

Just now, geoflewis said:

Thanks Neil, I have of course seen that effect, but never really paid much attention to the direction of the flow, so thanks for drawing my attention to it. I do wonder if that represents what I've referred to as 'laminar flow' in other discussions, i.e., smooth, not turbulent air flow, hence allowing detail to come through, despite the fast moving stream... 🤔🤷‍♂️

It might be and seems to fit the description. But i also notice focus was good and stable. A lot of the time its been constantly coming and going. But not so on this night

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neil phillips said:

It might be and seems to fit the description. But i also notice focus was good and stable. A lot of the time its been constantly coming and going. But not so on this night

I don't know, I'm just speculating, but I wonder whether the focus shifting is due to vertical layers in the atmoshere mixing, causing an oscillating (up/down) lens effect, something that a steady fast flowing air stream might not do, or do much less, so consistent focus is more accessible.....🤷‍♂️🤔

Just now, geoflewis said:

I don't know, I'm just speculating, but I wonder whether the focus shifting is due to vertical layers in the atmoshere mixing, causing an oscillating (up/down) lens effect, something that a steady fast flowing air stream might not do, or do much less, so consistent focus is more accessible.....🤷‍♂️🤔

Sounds plausible

Ive seen this effect when Jupiter hits the opposite house roof. But the stream was apparent early on, before it was right over the roof   (approaching though) hard to disentangle cause and effect

• Like 1