Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Full moon, Jupiter, and Cathedral spires.

I took these last Sunday, during the full moon, but I've been really busy this week, so I have been slow at processing. All taken with a Canon 77D, the first one with a Samyang 16 mm f/2, and the others with a Samyang 135 mm. The last photo is just a crop of the previous one, but I think it works on its own, and makes it easier to see Jupiter's moons through the haze of the clouds.

IMG_3745-small.thumb.jpg.231602dfd6a1c16a45a4924bc72e0cea.jpg

IMG_3758.thumb.jpg.e0196d45095f3116bda80e2a8d6fb5be.jpg

1683556793_IMG_3810-Editv2.thumb.jpg.e74311473b051362a727b6c4a18faad6.jpg

IMG_3810-Edit3-v3.thumb.jpg.f2fe7dd574539d633d245c715072a334.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Lovely shots …… and rather nostalgic for me. They took me back to my youth when the precincts of Canterbury cathedral and the cathedral itself were free to public access unlike now. Mind you, I don’t recall them being open at night. Did you have to get permission to take the photos, @Felias?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Lovely shots …… and rather nostalgic for me. They took me back to my youth when the precincts of Canterbury cathedral and the cathedral itself were free to public access unlike now. Mind you, I don’t recall them being open at night. Did you have to get permission to take the photos, @Felias?

I actually work within the Precincts. 😇 I had to attend the Eucharist on Sunday, so I decided that, since I was there, I'd at least take some pictures. Mind you, they now open the Precincts in the evenings after the Cathedral building is closed for visitors, so you can wander at leisure for an hour or so and take pictures. While I was manipulating the camera, two blokes who were walking around the Precincts asked me when the Cathedral was built. They couldn't believe it was so old when I told them when each section was built. 😅

@Nik271@Sunshine Thank you, the moons were difficult, there was a cloud cover, so the haze from Jupiter almost made them disappear!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Felias said:

I actually work within the Precincts. 😇 I had to attend the Eucharist on Sunday, so I decided that, since I was there, I'd at least take some pictures. Mind you, they now open the Precincts in the evenings after the Cathedral building is closed for visitors, so you can wander at leisure for an hour or so and take pictures. While I was manipulating the camera, two blokes who were walking around the Precincts asked me when the Cathedral was built. They couldn't believe it was so old when I told them when each section was built. 😅

@Nik271@Sunshine Thank you, the moons were difficult, there was a cloud cover, so the haze from Jupiter almost made them disappear!

What a lovely place to work! Plenty of opportunity for photography I’d have thought.

Tell me, do locals get a sort of free pass to the precinct and cathedral? I hope they do.  

5 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

What a lovely place to work! Plenty of opportunity for photography I’d have thought.

Tell me, do locals get a sort of free pass to the precinct and cathedral? I hope they do.  

Yes, I've been taking pictures around the place for years. Most of the time I only have my old phone, though, so they are not great. There's no free pass for locals, but you can attend the services if you want to enter the Cathedral freely, or walk around the Precincts in the evening after they close the building. A shame, I know.

• Sad 2

It is a shame. I wonder whether there’s a sense that the cathedral doesn’t belong to the people anymore. I remember back in the 60s/70s locals used the cathedral and precincts as a cut through, as they had for centuries probably.  A three way short cut through Kings School, round the cloisters and out through the main gate in Burgate(?) or in and out from Broad Street.   It must feel like an exclusion zone now. 

36 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

It is a shame. I wonder whether there’s a sense that the cathedral doesn’t belong to the people anymore. I remember back in the 60s/70s locals used the cathedral and precincts as a cut through, as they had for centuries probably.  A three way short cut through Kings School, round the cloisters and out through the main gate in Burgate(?) or in and out from Broad Street.   It must feel like an exclusion zone now. 

A bit, sadly. Besides, they have closed Green Court for visitors this term, so neither tourists nor locals are allowed unless they enter with an authorised guide. This is the trend now in most Cathedral towns I believe, all across Europe. They did the same in my home town in 1992.

• Like 1