NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First half of Veil wide field

gorann

Finally a clear night on Saturday but the moon was of course as full as it can be. So I decided to aim my dual-RASA rig at something bright with a lot of Ha and Oiii that could be picked up by NBZ filters. So not that much to chose from. On the other hand I have not imaged the Veil since my first year in Astrophotography (2015).

My plan is to get the other half, containing the Eastern Veil when it hopefully clears on Tuesday.

I caught totally 229 x 3 min, so 11.5 hours, before it went down behind the obsy wall. Cameras were ASI2600MC as usual. Processed in PI and PS, using starless processing of the nebulosity (Star XTerminator) of course. I had surprisingly little gradient problems, and nothing that Gradient XTerminator could not handle quite well.

Please zoom in, I think the data can support it.

Cheers, Göran

868703830_20221008-9VeilWestRASA12PS23smallSign.thumb.jpg.988fac8ebd8a1c7a522fb90acd2e6e6f.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 18

1 minute ago, symmetal said:

For a full  moon that's quite spectacular Göran. Plenty of fine wispy OIII detail. 😃

Alan

Thanks Alan! Yes, I wondered how well it would pick up the Oiii under a full moon, and it did it quite well, but then this is very bright Oiii - I would not try to image the Spaghetti nebula under a full moon.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

I thought, oh, another Veil Nebula image! But then I noticed it was by Goran, and I knew it would be worth a look 😉. Correct! It's just such a lovely image of interwoven gossamer filaments.

Ian

Thanks so very very much Ian, you are much too kind!

2 minutes ago, tomato said:

Great detail, I’m intrigued by the background, is the faint red hue a weak general Ha background in the region?

Thanks Steve!, Yes I think so. It is not easy to find good images to compare to (searching Veil on Astrobin gives 221 pages), but I found this one that shows a lot of Ha around (especially after I downloaded that image and stretched it):

https://www.astrobin.com/full/qt8ypd/B/