NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

RASA 8 dilemma, advice please

1 hour ago, gorann said:

But it sounded like you tried to talk Alan into being one of the beta testers😉

The Beta testing was done long ago…👍🏻
it was just a mount to consider, good price good payload, people can do there own homework, no arm twisting….

FLO got back to me today with the offer from Celestron for the RASA 11 and I've decided to accept it. 😀

I think in the end I'll go for the EQ8-R mount at £3349, though there is a 40-60 day stock delay. 😟 I did check out the Mesu on the Modern Astronomy website with the e200 head and wedge at £6299 and in stock. I had always thought Mesus were around £10,000 so was a bit surprised at the price, but couldn't really justify the extra £3000.

The EQ8 does can have backlash issues though it seems if adjusted twice a year depending on the temperatures it is manageable. My EQ6 does have significant Dec backlash but it really only manifests itself when doing a large Dec dither in one direction when it can take a minute or so to stabilize.

Alan

1 hour ago, symmetal said:

FLO got back to me today with the offer from Celestron for the RASA 11 and I've decided to accept it. 😀

I think in the end I'll go for the EQ8-R mount at £3349, though there is a 40-60 day stock delay. 😟 I did check out the Mesu on the Modern Astronomy website with the e200 head and wedge at £6299 and in stock. I had always thought Mesus were around £10,000 so was a bit surprised at the price, but couldn't really justify the extra £3000.

The EQ8 does can have backlash issues though it seems if adjusted twice a year depending on the temperatures it is manageable. My EQ6 does have significant Dec backlash but it really only manifests itself when doing a large Dec dither in one direction when it can take a minute or so to stabilize.

Alan

The EQ8 is superb, I use one and don’t find the DEC backlash an issue at all, I just have the PA a little off and guide DEC in just one direction, this totally removes the backlash issue as the DEC axis never changes direction, I regularly guide at 0.3 - 0.6 without issue….just have to remember to change the guide direction after a flip….also I use GS server and not EQMOD as it has better features and seems to work much better….👍🏻

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

The EQ8 is superb, I use one and don’t find the DEC backlash an issue at all, I just have the PA a little off and guide DEC in just one direction, this totally removes the backlash issue as the DEC axis never changes direction, I regularly guide at 0.3 - 0.6 without issue….just have to remember to change the guide direction after a flip….also I use GS server and not EQMOD as it has better features and seems to work much better….👍🏻

I assume you have this option ticked in PHD2, which GSS needs anyway?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

I assume you have this option ticked in PHD2, which GSS needs anyway?

I do now, but I didn’t last year, had a nightmare couple of nights, and could not figure out why….until Rob from GSS pointed it out to me….😂😂

• Like 1

Just a query, isn't the Pegasus NYX suitable, think it's 30kg payload with the use of counterweights. Curious as no mention of any newer HD mounts.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, symmetal said:

Alan

Not a bad choice. In one of my three obsies I have a 14" Meade SCT (so 3.5 meters focal length ) weighing 40 kg with all the stuff sitting on an old (2016) EQ8 and on nights with good seeing I get around 0.4"/pixel. Even if you are not as lucky with your specimen guiding will certainly be good enough for your RASA11.

Good luck with both the scope and mount!

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

@Elp  Thanks for mentioning it. The NYX is rated at 20kg without counterweights, but doesn't specify the upper limit, though is likely suitable. Again it's a new mount that's due for release in mid October. I'm not brave enough to spend that money on something with no track record. 😉 The main advantage with HD mounts is being lightweight, but that's not really an issue for me.

@Stuart1971 @gorann  Glad to see you have no real issues with the EQ8. I have three other Skywatcher mounts, AZ-EQ6, HEQ5 and EQ3 Pro and they have all performed with no failures for many years which is the main thing. I'm sure the EQ8 will be no different. 😊

The RASA 11 is a lightweight compared to your Meade 14" Göran and at only 620mm focal length it should  not tax the mount at all.

Alan

• Like 2