Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another NGC 7331, Deer Lick Group and associates

tomato

Close on the heels of @wimvb's great and very deep image, is 330 x 2 mins with the Esprit 150/IMX571OSC dual rig. All 11 hrs were captured in a single night, for once everything ran smoothly after I retired to bed, and the sky stayed clear until dawn.

It is a slightly wide FOV as the centre shifted to the left after the meridian flip. Calibrated and stacked in APP, this took 21 hrs with the application of LNC 3 iterations to smooth out the edges on stacking, but I suspect my PC went into sleep mode shortly after I did. Processed in PI and AP. There is no IFN visible that I can see but plenty of fainter galaxies present, I probably need to double the integration time from my location.

Thanks for looking

Image11AP.thumb.jpg.e6befb09116ca4f2fed4f8e8ae8831e0.jpg

Image11AP_Annotated.thumb.jpg.2b7a953003def3be683f6db2d585c1c9.jpg

• Like 15

OK, now at 15.7 hrs integration, maybe the slightest hint of IFN coming through in between NGC 7331 and Stephan's Quintet? The problem is the moon is now putting a big gradient on the last 4-5 hours of data and in removing this I suspect the IFN is going out with it. Still, there is a bit more nebulosity around the smaller galaxies, so I guess it is worth it.

Image11_3sessions.thumb.jpg.11a2479fc705e3bab9b25e70a37d1bb2.jpg

• Like 3

That is great Steve! With some careful processing you can probably subdue the core of the main galaxy to get some details out. But if I was you I wait until the moon is gone for more data on galaxies. Now is the time for NB filters.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback. Tonight I was going to put one of my IMX571 OSC cameras on the RASA and set it up on @Tomatobro’s EQ6 on the lawn to capture Ha on M31 and carry on dual imaging Ha for NGC 7331 using the Esprits with my other OSC/dual band filter and the G2-8300 but alas it looks like the venerable CCD  has given up the ghost, just keeps downloading dark images.

Is this how CCD imaging will end, not with a bright bang, but a dark whimper?