Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

StallaMira 110Ed F6 refractor

Evening all,

Does anyone on SGL have any experience with this (relatively) new scope from FLO please?

I have tried using the search engine and can only come up with the original announcement post by FLO.

I have one on the way now, as a replacement for my ST 102 so I guess I'm looking for some comfort that I've made a good choice for visual only lol!

Any owners out there?

Peter Court

• Like 1

It appears to be the same as the Orion EON 110mm ED f/6.0 refractor which has been around for at least 8 years.  Do a Google search on it to see what has been said about it.  They should be equally applicable to the SM version.

It should be a major step up from an ST 102 color correction wise.  It won't be apochromatic at high powers, but it won't be horrible, either.

If you can stretch another £100, the Starfield 102mm is a much better scope. With a mix of fp-53 and lanthanum glasses it has no discernible chromatic aberration. Inside/outside focus is even, also with no false colour, either chromatic aberration or spherochromatism.

Views of the moon and Jupiter are very satisfying at around x200. A short while ago I could see quite fine detail in Jupiter's belts - quite a surprise for 102mm!

• Like 1

Thank you Michael for you response, and also to the other kind responders.

Yes, I was torn between the SM 110 and a Starfield 102ED but what made me go with the SM 110 was that it will fit inside a standard 28" suitcase whereas the Starfield would be tight!

Unfortunately my occupation requires that I move islands fairly regularly, sometimes at short notice so I want to buy a scope that I know I can take with me!  It was a tough decision I can tell you.

I will be pairing the scope with my trusty SW 127 Mak on the other end of the Skytee so I will see how it all works out.

Thank you gentlemen.

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

I think you've made a good choice. I have both the Starfield 102 and the Stellamira 110. They are both very nice telescopes. 

I've only had the 110 a short time and was not going to say anything until I have used it more. I am currently away from home and won't have access to my telescopes for a few weeks. However I do have some photos saved and can let you know my first impressions for now.

I have previously written a bit on the Starfield 102 and it has continued to impress me. I was curious about the Stellamira 110 f6 and being a crazy refractor nut decided to give it a go just for fun. It is less expensive than the Starfield and has the advantages of being slightly shorter in length, larger in aperture and comes with a sturdy case included. As mentioned above by Louis it seems to be the same Long Perng scope as the Orion EON 110 and possibly the William Optics Megrez 110. Reviews of those two scopes will give you an idea of what to expect. 

There is more false colour than the Starfield 102 and that is to be expected with the larger aperture, shorter focal ratio and less expensive glass in the objective. FPL-51 opposed to FPL-53. Regardless, the 110 is a great telescope and is made to a very high standard. It does most things very well. I found the focuser to be smooth and if anything could use a bit more friction. It can move too freely when the scope is angled upwards. There is a locking knob on the bottom that works well however I think I need to adjust the friction when I work out how. 

The scope will fit into an Oklop 80/600 bag just like the Starfield. You can even leave the diagonal on with the Stellamira. 

IMG_1300 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1317 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1318 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1320 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1321 - Copy.JPG

Edited by plyscope
grammar correction
  • Like 2

Hi Andy, Thank you for replying and sending the photos, they both look wonderful scopes.  I know that you shouldn't choose a scope based on looks but that black Stellamira does look the business for sure.

I should hopefully get mine before the week is out and will be trying it out so I will post some pictures and initial impressions.  It is to replace my SW ST102 and will be used as a wide field "sweeper" generally, I then use the Mak 127 for higher  magnification on targets.

Thanks for the tip about the Oklop bag, that will be an ideal solution for when I relocate some time.  

Thanks again.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, peter court said:

Hi Andy, Thank you for replying and sending the photos, they both look wonderful scopes.  I know that you shouldn't choose a scope based on looks but that black Stellamira does look the business for sure.

I should hopefully get mine before the week is out and will be trying it out so I will post some pictures and initial impressions.  It is to replace my SW ST102 and will be used as a wide field "sweeper" generally, I then use the Mak 127 for higher  magnification on targets.

Thanks for the tip about the Oklop bag, that will be an ideal solution for when I relocate some time.  

Thanks again.

I have both a 102mm f7 fpl51 doublet refractor and a Mak 127. There is no doubt that the f7 refractor is better than the Mak in every way including observing at the 180 -200x sweet spot with good seeing. So much so I am considering selling the Mak. The Skymaxs (I've also owned the 102) are fun for the price and being small, are very easy to mount and transport but if one owns a 4" f7 ed/apo refractor, also owning a Maksutov of similar aperture really isn't necessary...