NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Decent mobile app that has pictures for all the major nebula?

powerlord

Hi chaps, I've always been using sky safari, but I'm getting sick of the fact that they have hardly any of the nebula as anything other as a box. some have an outline (elephant trunk), and a tiny few have pictures, but most (lion, dot in cosmic question mark, etc) have nowt at all.

has anyone found any of the android apps that actually DO have pictures for these these and other targets ? It would make it much more handly than having to use the mac all the time.

stu

Which version of SkySafari are you using? I use 7 and think it is graphically much better, but can’t check currently as I broke my phone and only have access to 6.

Luminos is another which gets good reviews particularly for graphics. Perhaps @Deadlake can comment as, again, I can’t access my version currently.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Which version of SkySafari are you using? I use 7 and think it is graphically much better, but can’t check currently as I broke my phone and only have access to 6.

Luminos is another which gets good reviews particularly for graphics. Perhaps @Deadlake can comment as, again, I can’t access my version currently.

nah I tried 7 hoping it would be better - exactly the same lack of images.

Luminos must be an ios thing - nothing i can see in play store.

@Gfamily DSO Planner star chart is pants though - and it's browsing around looking for targets I'm looking for so it's out.

7 hours ago, The Lazy Astronomer said:

I'm gonna do that thing where people reply on forums with literally 0 knowledge 🤣... but have you checked out the Stellarium app? I only use the Windows version, but it has images of most nebulae I've looked for, but like I say no idea if the mobile app is as comprehensive.

yeh thats what i use on the mac. but the android version is rubbish. hardly any settings, and can hardly see nebula in it for massive stars everywhere.

6 hours ago, markse68 said:

it’s probably a size thing? if they stored images for every object in the database it’d be huge. An option to download from an online database as required would be good though.

thats what sky safari say - but thats rubbish - its not 1994. android games are regularily GBs. and if you want to keep download small, it could download on demand when needed and cache. just laziness imho. As I say, I tried 7 expecting it to be better. It wasn't, and I got google to give me a refund.

I’d have a look at the Sky Guide app. I did a review of it about three years ago here. Things have moved on somewhat since then, and they have new features, and an extended database of high definition images which you pay extra for. The big downside is the ‘full fat’ costs £35 PER YEAR! If there is a way to trial it without committing, might be worth a look. I did end up buying the full version when it was much cheaper - I used it quite a lot alongside Sky Safari, but ultimately I guess I couldn’t justify the annual cost, and discontinued. 

Edited by RobertI