Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Energy Prices - Nigh time Light Pollution

saac

Let's face it there isn't really any real positive outcome of energy prices rises at the moment but I wonder will we see a reduction in security/outdoor effect lighting? Maybe even lighting from sports pitches etc may start to be cut back. Any anecdotal evidence yet; possibly too early?

Jim 

To be honest I really do not expect any change in domestic behaviour around here at least. It's doubtful those who will be hit the hardest by spiralling inflation and astronomical energy bills are the ones spewing light into the night most of the time. Although maybe businesses and football stadiums for instance may start switching off lights at night?

We all pay for the electricity for street lighting via our council tax.

Could they cut the lighting by a couple of hours every night and give the rebate back to the house owners...ie. lower council tax which means funds available for the energy bills.

< and we get darker skies  👍  >

Probably too simplistic and too small an amount but  hey-ho !!   it's an idea.

Edited by Craney
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

We may be freezing but mid evening Jupiter will look smashing!

Reduced cooling time for the OTA as it will already be at outside temperature!

No need to put on warmer clothing to go outside, as will already be wearing it. 

Edited by Laurieast
  • Like 2

I think it will definitely be a consideration. Particularly where it really counts with the industrial or retail areas. Time will tell but the days of cheap energy are over for the foreseeable. How many bars etc will have those outside heaters, I think Olly mentioned them in another thread. Sometimes scarcity forces change in a positive direction. 

I also doubt that it will have a significant effect on individual behaviour, especially now that LEDs have cut the cost of operating back garden floodlights. My own neighbour has just installed a new, hideously bright light that's triggered by a PIR sensor. It's now impossible for me to walk from my house to my observing spot at the bottom of the garden without it coming on.

But I do think there's a chance that civil authorities will take action, either because they really believe it will help, or because they think that they have to be seen to be doing something. This is already happening in Europe. In Germany in particular, they are turning off the night-time illumination of public monuments, lighting in shops and offices, etc.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/08/31/drastic-measures-taken-across-europe-combat-looming-energy-crisis/

• Like 3