Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LINDY 10m USB 3.0 Active Extension Cable Pro

I have found its all down to the boards & chipsets used in laptops and the power that is supplied to them which is shared by many internal components.. 

My 8m lindy pro and others work internittently or not at all if I plug them directly into my laptop, The solution is to use a powered hub.

Laptop == Hub == Exlension == Camera

Laptop == Hub == Exlension == Hub == Camera (for more complex setups)

Steve

• Like 1

I use the MutecPower 15m USB3 active extension lead and it's been fine. No issues at all.

I've used it with both a powered USB3 hub & the Pegasus Pocket Powerbox Advance at the mount end and plugged into a USB3 port on my laptop at the other. This way it gets power from both ends and just works.

If you don't have a hub of some kind at the mount end then the Mutec comes with a PSU which you can use instead. This plugs into the female end of the cable or the mid-point booster.

23 hours ago, ObscuredView said:

Hi, does anyone have first hand experience of these  usb3.0 active extension cables from Lindy?

Will my Zwo Asi224mc operate at the full usb 3.0 speed?

Sorry no info on USB 3.0 by Lindy but I use their USB 2.0 active cables all the time. So far only one fault as I use them at the Scottish Star Camp. I or someone else may have stood on it and it failed. Cannot blame Lindy at all. I have used their 8 metre and above active cables for several years so far. I am well pleased with the quality.

Shame about the one failure as It cost about £30.

I would expect their USB 3.0 to be just as good.

Edited by Physopto

On 03/09/2022 at 16:22, ObscuredView said:

does anyone have first hand experience of these  usb3.0 active extension cables

Hi

I use a Startech 10m active USB 3 cable which I run from inside the house to the mount. It has worked flawlessly over the past 18 months and is out in all weathers, well the business end with the power supply are protected by the clamshell cover during inclement days. Cost me around £100, but worth every penny for glitch free nights. I did try the Amazon USB3 cables, but beyond 1.5m they are useless!

Adrian

On 03/09/2022 at 15:22, ObscuredView said:

Will my Zwo Asi224mc operate at the full usb 3.0 speed?

If the active extension is between the camera and the recording PC then no is the short answer. 😉

The circuitry in the extension cables will throttle the maximum transfer speed in order to allow them to work over long distances. You don't get something for nothing. 😊 A similar question was asked a couple of years ago on the forum as over a 15m USB3 active extension cable they were getting disk file transfer speeds of around 60MB/s. I think it was from an SSD but I can't remember. A 5m active extension cable was used instead hoping for higher speeds but it again gave only 60MB/s. Most likely all the extension cables used the same circuitry in their 'active' modules. Over a short USB3 cable I manage 200MB/s transfer from a mechanical hard disk.

Unless you're planetary imaging or transfering several gigabyte files over the active extension cable, you probably won't notice much drop in performance. Using a 1m USB3 cable I can get around 3Gb/s maximum from my ASI224 recording to a SSD on a mini PC at the mount, which is 375MB/s. 5Gb/s is the theoretical maximum for USB3 which will never be achieved in real life.

Alan