Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Day dreaming

Hi Folks,

So I'm sitting here having just checked the weather for the weekend and you guessed it...clouds.

At times like these I get to day dreaming and imagining my perfect rig (I know its sad!).

So, here's my question. If money was no object, what would be your perfect mount for imaging?

I presently have an old heq5 goto, she works well with my 72ed and evoguide but I can't help wondering what a better mount would feel like (if there is a better mount that is 😉 )

looking forward to reading your comments 

Have a great weekend 

Simon 

12 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Ahh daydreaming about astro gear, it's the only way we can afford it. I think a zwo AM5 would be a really nice mount to own. 

Lee 

That would be my ideal mount too because of it's weight and load capacity however it will only exist in my dreams😆

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

So, here's my question. If money was no object, what would be your perfect mount for imaging?

One that won’t need guiding (10Micron, AstroPhysics, Fornax, …). One less thing that can fail.

• Like 1

An observatory on my own property somewhere in rural Finland far from cities is often what i daydream about.

But astro equipment is cheaper than property, so i would make do with a premium mount, maybe 10micron, and the biggest scope that is reasonably usable without an obsy, so maybe a 10-12" SCT/RC. Still dreaming with those prices, but maybe one day...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

If daydreaming why not the Paramount ones (an ME-II perhaps) or Planewave? 🙂 You will need deep pockets for those though!

Not just deep pockets but muscles to go with that! They is not light!!

Had the ME, the counter weights are £250 each! Sold it as it was just too heavy.

chaz

12 hours ago, Chaz2b said:

Had the ME, the counter weights are £250 each!

Ouch! Fortunately the OP assumed no budgetary constraints, but I know better ways to spend that money. If I ever get interested in such a mount, I will start shopping accessories at my local gym/sports outlet.

• Haha 1

Mesu 200🤗, friction drive that can handle 100kg and no maintenance, no backlash, but Lucas only makes about 40 a year so put yourself in line asap.

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

On 26/08/2022 at 15:11, wimvb said:

One that won’t need guiding (10Micron, AstroPhysics, Fornax, …). One less thing that can fail.

They all need guiding, Wim. They can guide on the stars or they can guide on their own encoders but, if they do that, they need to work to a precise local model which involves the refractive index of the sky at varying altitude. If you want one more thing to go wrong, guide on your own encoders!  Guiding on the stars is the elegant solution.

On 26/08/2022 at 09:23, Simon Dunsmore said:

Hi Folks,

So I'm sitting here having just checked the weather for the weekend and you guessed it...clouds.

At times like these I get to day dreaming and imagining my perfect rig (I know its sad!).

I presently have an old heq5 goto, she works well with my 72ed and evoguide but I can't help wondering what a better mount would feel like (if there is a better mount that is 😉 )

looking forward to reading your comments 

Have a great weekend 

Simon 

Maybe a mount that you bought second hand 10 years ago? A mount that, in commercial use under regularly clear skies, has never ever dropped a single sub to guiding error? That would be my dream mount and I have it.

The Mesu 200.

There is no mount at any price, anywhere in the world, that I would rather have in my observatory.

Olly

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

they need to work to a precise local model which involves the refractive index of the sky at varying altitude.

There is no such thing as a free lunch, not even in AP, I guess. I was aware of the need for accurate modeling. But the point is moot; I see no future where I could, or even would, invest in such a mount for my backyard observatory.

ASA mounts use a whole sky model for pointing and rough tracking, then a local model along the path of the imaging to take account of refraction etc.

With the encoders having a resolution of 0.02", and being read at 100Hz even wind gusts can be corrected before they have a chance to affect the subs.

And a lot faster than guiding, with no danger of chasing the seeing.