Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Classic Refractor - The Vixen SPl102 F10 achromat

I found the attached old (2003) review of this wonderful old achromat while browsing online this evening, and just after putting my own example outside to cool down.

It's a beautifully written review by an Italian observer and I hope it's of interest😊.

https://www.binomania.it/rifrattore-acromatico-vixen-gp-102m/

Dave

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zeta Reticulan said:

Looks interesting.

1.thumb.jpg.089ec9efc9d9425a6f8eac1e4ee45a65.jpg

Pity I can't convince it to translate into English.

That's odd..it should just open up in English..🤔

If you look at the bottom left of the screen when you've clicked on the link it should say Italian or English..perhaps you inadvertently hit Italian by mistake?

Dave

14 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

If you look at the bottom left of the screen when you've clicked on the link it should say Italian or English..perhaps you inadvertently hit Italian by mistake?

Dave

came up in italian for me too Dave but was offered the translate option in edge/google that worked fine. I know a few words and can sometimes figure out the gist but in truth, me non parlo italiano, at least nothing I can repeat in here 🙂 

Edited by DaveL59
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Dave

More likely it's an Ubuntu thing. 

38 minutes ago, Carl Au said:

I have to say the one I had life threatening CA, I mean really bad. It was a lovely thing to look, just awful to actually look through. I sold a TAL 100 R to pay for it too, what a mistake that was.

I think you were very unlucky..was it bought new?

I ask because Vixen QC is normally excellent, but if it was bought used it may have been interfered with in some way. The most common fault seems to be that people disassemble the lens doublet for cleaning, and then re-assemble it backwards (ie flip the lenses), so it won't work properly..or, if the two elements are not properly aligned with the marks on each element, you may not get good focus, or might see excess CA.

I've experienced this myself, and the only remedy is to have the lenses cleaned and re-assembled by an optical expert.

Last night, on Jupiter with binoviewers at c.x125, I could barely see the faintest tinge of CA at all..and as my main scope is a Tak FS128 apo, I am quite sensitive to false colour..

Dave

• Like 1

I had already read this review, but I gladly read it again. I bought the Vixen 102M optics used last summer, I had tried it on Jupiter and on the Moon, having a good impression. On the latter in a calm evening I used 333X (barlow 2X achromatic and a 6 mm Possl, both Celestron in a mini case): simply beautiful! I want to try it on Mars as soon as I get the chance for the December opposition.

• Like 1