NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

GRS August 24th

neil phillips

6 hours ago, geoflewis said:

More superb images Neil and a great thread to read, with several excellent contribuions. I now have my ASI462MC (purchased yesterday), so it shouldn't be too long now before I get back to the planets....🤞.

Your a great planetary imager Geoff. Look forward to seeing you push the big C14 With the new camera. Congrats

cheers

• Like 1

8 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Your a great planetary imager Geoff. Look forward to seeing you push the big C14 With the new camera. Congrats

cheers

Thanks Neil, you are very kind. I must say that I'm excited, but also a bit anxious about trying the new camera. I frequently use the ADC with the mono camera, but getting that dialed in correctly will be much more necessary with the colour camera. Hopefully it will all come back to me fairly quickly....🤞

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 1

That’s a great image.  I had a tentative go at Jupiter on Sunday night with a much different outcome to yours 😂.  I’m using an 8” SCT and took 20,000 frames at similar gain to you so similar approach but I think my problem may have been poor focus.  Would you mind letting me know how you make sure you are in good focus?  I used SharpCap Contrast Edge Detection but like I say I’m not convinced I got a good result.

13 minutes ago, Priesters said:

That’s a great image.  I had a tentative go at Jupiter on Sunday night with a much different outcome to yours 😂.  I’m using an 8” SCT and took 20,000 frames at similar gain to you so similar approach but I think my problem may have been poor focus.  Would you mind letting me know how you make sure you are in good focus?  I used SharpCap Contrast Edge Detection but like I say I’m not convinced I got a good result.

Hi Priesters. No magic solution unfortunately. Mostly years of experience. I wondered about trying that. On sharpcap. Think i will stick with my technique

In two words Old school. I purposely put the planet out of focus. Then slowly start bringing it in. I watch for the moments as i can see it getting sharper. The real trick is knowing when to stop. As you can overshoot and it starts going out again. You have to learn to feel your way into it slowly. And watching the detail improve as you slowly keep moving the focuser. Stand away from the screen a little. Not too close it helps, About a foot and half away, maybe 2 feet. Some like electronic focusers. I tried one. but didnt like it. i need to be connected to the focuser to feel it. 

I refocus a lot. during the night take some captures then refocus. You dont want all your eggs in one basket, its a mistake. 

• Like 2

Thanks Neil, appreciate the reply and advice.  It’s a shame we don’t get enough clear nights to consistently practice this stuff, particularly up here in Lancashire.   I also need to get to retirement so I’m not depending on those clear nights landing on a weekend.  I’ll keep plugging away though and in the meantime just admire your work.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkRadice said:

What an image to celebrate my birthday, Neil. Thank you - I enjoyed your beautifully processed Jupiter. 

My birthday was two days ago Mark. Very close to yours then. Happy birthday mate. Hope you had a good one. And thank you for the kind comments