Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First try with scope

Hello all

I have now opened my new telescope (telstar 76x700) and had it all set up on mother's day. Got it aligned perfectly, spotting stuff all over the place, looking forward to the almost completely clear sky forecast for the night time. And then cursed with clouds - I have been reading on the forums that this is an inescapable curse for the first time you take a telescope out!

So I waited until Monday night, and although it was cloudy i thought i would give it a go. Aaaagh! Took ages to get aligned (also we are not at home, we are staying alternately at my parents/in-laws so had to pretty much set up from scratch). Eventually did, by which time the wind had picked up. Every time I found an object the wind blew a massive cloud in front of it. Eventually I found Saturn, the sky was completely clear with no cloud anywhere so I thought "aha!" and tried to pounce on it. Then I realised I was right in front of a streetlight so all I got was the glare off the light magnified however many times. At which point I'm afraid I gave up.

I could list all the things I did wrong but I'm sure there's a word limit on here!!

Anyhoo, two questions:

a) any tips for getting finderscope aligned super-efficiently? or is this entirely dependant on the make os scope?

:) are light pollution filters any good, how much can I expect to pay (new or used) and is there a sort of standard fit, ie size x will fit nay 76mm scope? (ok so I cheated. It was actually 4 questions.)

Sorry for the waffle I just wanted to rant a bit. I must learn patience I know!!

Thanks

Becca

Hi Becca,

LP filters are brilliant, but only for certain objects (i.e.nebulae). They will fit your 'scope BUT the aperture of your scope is quite small. An OIII filter, for example, may darken your views a bit too much but will bring out some faint nebulae if you know where to look and what you are expecting to see.....If I was you I would get hold of a Neodymium filter. These are good for small aperture scopes and improve contrast for most Deep Sky Objects and are good for the moon, Mars and Jupiter.....FLO sell them so go to the link at the top of your screen!:)

When you inevitably buy your massive, rocket launcher of a scope;) try out the LPR and OIII filters....They're awesome in 'orange skies'!

Stef

Becca align your finder during the day it's alot easier.

Find something along way away maybe a chimney pot on someone roof a steeple of a church, you get the idea.

Then place the object into the middle of the eyepiece's view (not finders view)

Then look through the finder and adjust until the same view is in the finder.

Thats about it. Next clear night try checking on a really bright star and double check both eyepiece and finder too see if view is the same.

If your finder bracket is one of hte ones with two sets of three screws to aadjust, adjust the screws on both ends so they are all evenly spaced between the ring and the finder. Then adjust the finder by using only the rear screws. If you try to use all six screws to adjust the finder you'll end up running away screaming.

Hello thanks for all the help. I was out again last night and it was a totally different experience. I got aligned straightaway (couldn't align during the day as my toddler would destroy it in two secs lol, have to set up fresh every night) and found Sirius, Orion's Belt, Regulus, Pleiades and one I haven't worked out yet. They were all beautifully clear and absolutely stunning. I also found Saturn although the weather started to kick in before I could make out more than a lovely shiny circle! Feel absolutely in awe, and very privileged.

Nicely done getting out and finding things. By aligning every time are you talking about your finder scope or polar aligning ? I don't take the finder off and very rarely have to adjust, normally only after I've whacked it on something. See if you can find M44 the Beehive cluster, it's in Cancer, just along a bit from Gemini towards Saturn. It's possible to make the cluster out as a misty patch if the skies are dark enough. It's a beauty to look at.

Hiya yes I have heard of TLAO but to be honest I need to save a wee bit more! this isn't too bad though as I am getting a bit more basic knowledge of where stuff is in the sky and enjoying it very much. I have also tried following the Spring Moonwatch in the newest S@N magazine, which I am loving, I am seeing it in a whole new light!

there will be times when the moon in the sky is the only thing worth observing, due to it's brightness it will stop a lot of night jewels appearing in the sky. It certainly sounds like the bug has bitten. Funding all the toys is the hard part but at least not having them doesn't stop you observing the sky. Good luck with future observations, post a report to let us know how it's going.

Archived