Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tenerife by night

Halcyon

Hi all

i am visiting Tenerife with a few friends in October and wanted to head up the mountain for a skywatching evening. Just Binos and eyes. The official available tours are expensive and include a guide etc. We don’t want that, just a lift up to the top for an hour or 2 then a lift back down (to the cruise terminal). Does anyone have any experience or help they can offer, as to who may do this and the cost? There will be 11 of us . Thanks all

Try contacting Tenerife Astronomy Society  <Tenerife astronomy society @TenerifeAstro>      

They should be able to give latest advice and may even be able to arrange a trip.  Message Simon Rowland.    🙂

we got a guided tour by what I presume was a astro society of some description. They had half decent gear of I think an 8" dob, 4" frac and they were taking some pictures to show people too. It wasn't cheap, think about 60 euros or maybe more PP but it was a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

1 thing, whatever you decide on wrap up well. It was blooming freezing up there.

2 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

we got a guided tour by what I presume was a astro society of some description. They had half decent gear of I think an 8" dob, 4" frac and they were taking some pictures to show people too. It wasn't cheap, think about 60 euros or maybe more PP but it was a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

1 thing, whatever you decide on wrap up well. It was blooming freezing up there.

Was that by any chance with 'Night Skies Tenerife', we are going to Tenerife next month, and thinking of booking a tour with them. 

Last time we booked a tour with 'Vulcano Teide' which should have included a trip to the Solar Observatory on Tenerife, but they let us down badly, we waited over an hour for a coach that didn't turn up. When I subsequently contacted them, they said that they had cancelled due to bad weather (just sent an email (which I didn't receive), informing me of the cancellation, no attempt to contact me by phone, or the hotel we were staying at). They supposedly cancelled due to bad weather, but we doubted this as couldn't see any problems with the weather on the day. In addition while waiting for their non-existent coach, one for 'Teide by Night' (operated by a different company) pulled up at the same pick up point. Suspect that they had just cancelled due to insufficient numbers to make it viable for them.

John

3 hours ago, johnturley said:

Was that by any chance with 'Night Skies Tenerife', we are going to Tenerife next month, and thinking of booking a tour with them. 

Last time we booked a tour with 'Vulcano Teide' which should have included a trip to the Solar Observatory on Tenerife, but they let us down badly, we waited over an hour for a coach that didn't turn up. When I subsequently contacted them, they said that they had cancelled due to bad weather (just sent an email (which I didn't receive), informing me of the cancellation, no attempt to contact me by phone, or the hotel we were staying at). They supposedly cancelled due to bad weather, but we doubted this as couldn't see any problems with the weather on the day. In addition while waiting for their non-existent coach, one for 'Teide by Night' (operated by a different company) pulled up at the same pick up point. Suspect that they had just cancelled due to insufficient numbers to make it viable for them.

John

Honestly cannot remember and cannot find anything about it on our holiday pictures. It does sound familiar but that isn't saying I am right. 

I have checked their website and none of the tours look familiar either however things change. A quick look at all available tours seems to point to a lot of them doing the meal thing, might be a recent collaboration between island entrepreneurs. 

They (NST) look like a good outfit though.

I did this tour a few years ago while on holiday. I must say it was the most fantastic night sky I have ever seen, very beautiful.

It was only visual with your own eyes and a bloke pointing things out with a laser, which was about as powerful as a light sabre! 

Thoroughly enjoyed it, got loads of wine to drink but as it has been mentioned  it was a bit cold, my Mrs was shivering under two blankets.

We went on a club trip and stayed at the Parador in the caldera, it was a truly stupendous sky that made returning to my home observatory somewhat of an anti-climax. The hotel had sky tours on a Friday night although I did not attend.  You'll really enjoy the views there - not only are you much further south, the skies are pretty dark. 

• Like 4