Your telescopes

Hello

Ive noticed a lot of you have a fair few telescopes, how come you have so many? id imagine they have different purposes?

One for planets, one for deep sky etc? Or is it a case of you upgrading and just keeping the old one or having a portable one for taking on holiday?

Please let me know what you have and what you use it for.

Bit of both Lee, some I just got for a good price secondhand and I'll decide what to do with them eventually when I've tried them out (or need the money!!). I'll always have a big Newt for deep sky and a refractor or a Mak or planets, the rest are just "deals" if come across.

Guidescopes too... for deep sky they're a must to keep the scope that's doing long exposures pointing in the right place. After my ... ahem, reorganisation ... I'm looking at a Megrez 80FD and a Vixen SD114SS. Both nice widefield imaging scopes, both capable of taking high mag for planetary, and both easy to barlow up to guide each other. Well, that's the plan :lol:

arthur

PS - several other scopes around here but as Gaz says, sometimes you can't resist that "deal" :)

Agreed mate if i had to choose i would keep my 5" apo no dought F7 Nice for the planets good wide field.

Tom, If had to choose one of your scopes that'd be the one for me.

At lot depends on what you regard as being portable and what size of scope/mount you are willing to set up. But generally, I'd defineatly like the scopes to have differing focal lenghts to give widefield/planetary veiws. Also different sizes, one to setup easily for quick looks and another larger light bucket for those all nighters.

Differing focal lenghts is the big thing though IMHO.

It also depends what you're targets are. It seems to be along the lines of guns, you get a great big one for elephants (well not anymore I suppose), medium size one for deer, giant pandas etc and a tiny pocket one for those card cheats in the saloon.

The moon and planets are brightly lit so you can go mad on focal length without needing a big aperture (high f number), Messier objects are very variable in size so you need a mid range focal length and more aperture to get the photons swept up, and then there's the widefield stuff.

Whatever your target, there will be the best 'scope in your collection, you just have to have one for each target. :lol:

Captain Chaos

Archived