NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

LDN1228 + LBN552.

ollypenrice

More dust from up north, about 10 degrees from Polaris in the Cepheus molecular cloud.

Another project with Paul Kummer, who set up the robotic sequences from the UK for a rig based here. (Paul provides a Celestron RASA 8 and ASI 2600MC and I provide an Avalon Linear mount.) Paul also did the stacking so all I did here was the post processing. It's a 4 panel mosaic, about 3 hours per panel in 3 minute subs. ABE from  Pixinsight, mosaic made in Registar, processed in Photoshop including StarXterminator to remove the stars before they were put back at a softer stretch.

1506099411_LDN1228LBN552Web.thumb.jpg.3dd515279b538a9a55d753f9eebab26c.jpg

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
Image was flipped. Thanks Goran!
  • Like 28

1 hour ago, maw lod qan said:

I can't help but wonder what it would be like flying thru that in either a space craft or just something like the recent planetary probes?

I think you'd be disappointed because it would just be like perfectly empty space. The density of particles is lower than a laboratory vacuum on Earth. These are the kind of objects we can only see because they are distant.

Olly

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That is an amazing amount of dust that the RASA8 captured! Great image Olly! But I think you forgot to flip it so it is a mirror image (I do it all the time with the RASA and it messes up attempts to annotate the image).

Göran

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, gorann said:

That is an amazing amount of dust that the RASA8 captured! Great image Olly! But I think you forgot to flip it so it is a mirror image (I do it all the time with the RASA and it messes up attempts to annotate the image).

Göran

You're right, Goran. Indeed I'd already un-flipped it at one stage but obviously did it once too often! It's now corrected.

Actually the present version is a full reprocess because Paul wanted to see f would could preserve more fine scale detail. There is a little more in the large version, now.

Olly

20 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I think you'd be disappointed because it would just be like perfectly empty space. The density of particles is lower than a laboratory vacuum on Earth. These are the kind of objects we can only see because they are distant.

Olly

Yes, I remember reading a very similar comment in one  of Jack Newton’s books referring to the Horsehead Nebula.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tom OD said:

Bloody hell that’s a lot of dust. Great capture. 4 pane mosaic and barely a whiff of dark background space in there. 
T. 

Indeed, but there are three notably black background patches running across the image which are interesting. Because their star count is low I guess that they are patches of dense obscuring dust not illuminated by any nearby bright star.

41 minutes ago, old_eyes said:

Lovely image Olly. I like the way the striations and folds show you the forces developing the cloud. All done with starlight, stellar winds and gravity.

Yes, that's the charm of these dusty sculptures shaped as you describe. The scale of many of them beggars belief.

Olly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mftoet said:

Nice one, Olly. As you know, I’m fond of those dark, dusty structures. Sometimes (well, actually most often) difficult to DBE, though. 

Thanks Maurice. I just used the panels Paul had run through ABE and they seemed fine, so I settled for them. A bit lazy but... I'm a very old man now! 😁

Olly

• Like 1