Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky-Watcher 200P dual speed focuser.

I've thought about it many times, but now I have an iOptron RC6 with dual speed focusser which I struggle to focus, I'm not so sure when the 200P (and 250PX) seem to focus so much more easily for me. I must be doing something wrong.

I ummed and arred over upgrading my 200P focuser but in the end its only a visual scope and the standard focuser supports (lower end, lighter) 2" EPs just fine and it's smooth enough to find good focus. If you've got the money laying around and want a higher quality feel, then go for it 👍

• Like 1

• Cornelius Varley changed the title to Sky-Watcher 200P dual speed focuser.
1 hour ago, Mandy D said:

I've thought about it many times, but now I have an iOptron RC6 with dual speed focusser which I struggle to focus, I'm not so sure when the 200P (and 250PX) seem to focus so much more easily for me. I must be doing something wrong.

I use a bahtinov mask on some of my scopes on a bright star first to make sure I have focus correct before I do any visual observing. RC’s tend to have longer cool down times which makes focusing tricky some times, so a bahtinov mask might help here for you.

A dual speed makes focusing much better than a single speed, so yes it is recommended. Skywatcher dual speeds are a good choice, but they can start to get quite expensive. All my scope bar one has dual speeds, and I’m waiting to upgrade my scope that has a single speed focuser with a new dual speed one.

• Like 1

As an alternative idea, fit an electric focuser then it does not move when you focus, no vibration, nothing, and costs a lot less. £65 at Flo:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/skywatcher-auto-focuser.html

Note: Please check your telescope's focuser knob is removable (Sky-Watcher sometimes glue them on). If not then this product will not be suitable. 

Motor-1.thumb.jpg.4ed34ff7bdce0666ac6821e849ae226d.jpg

This is on my Explorer 150p. Also fitted one to the ED 80.

Edited by Laurieast
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, malgpz900 said:

Thanks, which on did you go for?

I think it's this one.

But I got it from the SGL classifieds for only £50

Screenshot_20220730-131756_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8f7c7202dffac4fae979953843cb0839.jpg

Edited by Dave scutt
Forgot to add photo

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

I use a bahtinov mask on some of my scopes on a bright star first to make sure I have focus correct before I do any visual observing. RC’s tend to have longer cool down times which makes focusing tricky some times, so a bahtinov mask might help here for you.

Thanks for that. It is something I have yet to try. Cool down time might be the issue here as it seems to have a grainy appearance rather more than blurry out of focus. See photo.

RC6_Blurred_Moon.jpg

5 hours ago, Dave scutt said:

I think it's this one.

But I got it from the SGL classifieds for only £50

Screenshot_20220730-131756_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8f7c7202dffac4fae979953843cb0839.jpg

Yeah that the one I've been looking at. Unfortunately I cannot get into the classifieds yet, I have enough posts.

Malcolm

i thought about a dual focuser for my 200p , i didnt like the price, so i bought the cheaper auto focuser from flo. it was a great decision, works great, and i dont even touch the scope, so no shakes or vibrations. what a difference. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Dave scutt said:

Good choice, I was going to get one but they where out of stock .

As  @Laurieast said check to see if your focuser knob isn't glued on first.

Dave

Yeah, knob comes off. Checked that first before I bought it. 

Thanks,

Malcolm.