Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M57 from Paris suburbs

Dan_Paris

Hello everyone,

here is the first image with my AP900 that I got few weeks ago. There's absolutely nothing to say about the mount, it just works flawlessly from the first to the last sub. The scope is a custom-made carbon 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph with Romano Zen optics and a 2.5" Wynne corrector.

For this picture I mixed LRGB data with H-alpha data, taken over the last two nights (50% H-alpha in luminance and 40% in red channel, combined in starless mode).

Here is a crop on the nebula and neighbor galaxy enlarged at 125% :

M57_crop.thumb.jpg.e4eabe61145f258141efabf01821b6a5.jpg

The full picture:

M57_f.thumb.jpg.0a7a1241e471b44ced49327a06c7b01f.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Dan

Technical data :
200/800 custom Newtonian astrograph with Romano Zen optics and carbon fiber tube
TS 2.5" Riccardi-Wynne corrector
ASI183mm + ZWO LRGB filters
Guiding : ZWO OAG + ASI120mm mini + AsiairV1
Luminance : 90 *60sec
Chrominance : 20*60sec each channel
H-alpha : 200*60 sec
Darks, flats and synthetic biases
Conditions : Bortle 7 skies in Paris' suburbs (20km from the Eiffel tower), fair seeing (2" to 2.3" after stacking)
Preprocessing and stacking with Siril, processing with Pixinsight and Rawtherapee

• Like 18

I agree with the others, though at first glance I thought the second was a bit overcooked, when looking at them side by side the second has more detail and features visible especially in the outer shell. Really nice work! 

1B0B562A-FFD3-41B3-B24D-F76B505408EA.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Craig for your message and for the comparison !

With hindsight the second processing is maybe a tad too strong on the ring itself, but clearly better for the outer shell.

regards,

Dan

Edited by Dan_Paris

Very nice Dan! That's a great M57 you've got there. 

I'm only looking on my phone, but I like the detail of the 2nd version and the colour of the 1st version. Maybe try a simple mix of the two to see how it turns out?

Ps - Love France btw. We're currently on hols just outside Perpignan. Aller France! 🌞🇨🇵

Thanks Ciarán, regarding the colors it is probably a side effect of the luminance curve manipulation, I could try to adjust the color curves as well. 

Enjoy your stay in Perpignan (beautiful region !),

Dan

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...