Jump to content

2052839955_Mobilephonebanner.jpg.a502a319d7033354d442937f2edd0c2c.jpg

First light for my asi462mc


Kon
 Share

Recommended Posts

I received my new asi426mc yesterday and surprisingly the skies were clear this morning for a test. With daylight coming up quickly, I messed up the Saturn fps but Jupiter is my best so far; loads of details and the GRS is just there. As others have mentioned the IR is bringing so much more on Saturn especially at the North pole. The seeing was pretty good this morning without much boiling effect.

8" Dob, manual tracking (drifting), 2x barlow. First two images are with UV/IR cut filter, the third one is IR pass and last is an IR-rgb mix in Gimp. I am really excited to get more familiar with this camera and it has already impressed me.

image.png.11b639830583f47419adc1522949337c.pngimage.png.9c473b42a27901bc8473215f11100b95.pngimage.png.cc127492c793f7c84e270a247ca46b37.pngimage.png.96c24119e1d16e089ad4f397db8f8ca2.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Kon changed the title to First light for my asi462mc
4 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Glad you got the chance to try put your camera and excellent results as well. 🙂

Thanks for the camera, and yes I was itching to try it last night. All clouded now so I cannot complain with the first results.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lovely images.     I would say your Saturn is better than your Jupiter, especially the last one.

You have some great detail in the rings,   always a test  for scope /camera / conditions etc

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Craney said:

Lovely images.     I would say your Saturn is better than your Jupiter, especially the last one.

You have some great detail in the rings,   always a test  for scope /camera / conditions etc

Thanks for the comments. I agree that the composite has brought out some nice details. (I was just impressed to see so much more detail on Jupiter than previous attempts). I think an IR composite might also help it but it was getting quite bright to do much more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kon said:

I received my new asi426mc yesterday and surprisingly the skies were clear this morning for a test. With daylight coming up quickly, I messed up the Saturn fps but Jupiter is my best so far; loads of details and the GRS is just there. As others have mentioned the IR is bringing so much more on Saturn especially at the North pole. The seeing was pretty good this morning without much boiling effect.

8" Dob, manual tracking (drifting), 2x barlow. First two images are with UV/IR cut filter, the third one is IR pass and last is an IR-rgb mix in Gimp. I am really excited to get more familiar with this camera and it has already impressed me.

image.png.11b639830583f47419adc1522949337c.pngimage.png.9c473b42a27901bc8473215f11100b95.pngimage.png.cc127492c793f7c84e270a247ca46b37.pngimage.png.96c24119e1d16e089ad4f397db8f8ca2.png

Yep good result with the new cam. the polar cap on saturn does look more vivd for sure. Congrats on your first light. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is an excellent first light with your new Asi462mc Kon. You can clearly see the difference the sensitivity in Ir as made on the Saturn image. I am totally Bowled over with this camera as I'm sure you will be too Great Stuff.

Ps do you prefer to be called Kostas or Kon or not bothered either way🙂

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, morimarty said:

That is an excellent first light with your new Asi462mc Kon. You can clearly see the difference the sensitivity in Ir as made on the Saturn image. I am totally Bowled over with this camera as I'm sure you will be too Great Stuff.

Ps do you prefer to be called Kostas or Kon or not bothered either way🙂

Thanks Martyn. Yes first impressions are excellent, looking forward to capturing more images and playing with processing.

Kon in my avatar is short for Konstantinos but in Greek we abbreviate it as Kostas. I am happy either way.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That third image is the one I'm taken with, it stands out.

What did you use for capture please? I used the sharpcap pro brain function and it threw out a gain of 300 (though massive difference in our scope size), but that was for 5 second exposure as more DSO but none the less I'm curious to know more of the what gain/offset you used to capture your first light with the camera please?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

That third image is the one I'm taken with, it stands out.

What did you use for capture please? I used the sharpcap pro brain function and it threw out a gain of 300 (though massive difference in our scope size), but that was for 5 second exposure as more DSO but none the less I'm curious to know more of the what gain/offset you used to capture your first light with the camera please?

I am using a Mac so kind of limited on asicap under Asistudio for my captures (firecapture does not recognise the camera for some reason although it runs and SharpCap does not run under crossover) so the values were:  full capture resolution window, gain 200,  exposure of 12ms for Saturn and ~6ms for Jupiter; I was aiming for 50-60% histogram. I shot at raw8 but I think I may need to go for raw16? (still trying to understand the difference in quality). I was using high USB traffic and I did not notice any dropped frames; i think the advantage of writing directly to the laptop ssd.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you. When the camera first came out firecapture didn't support it but an update release came out and I think it's all good now. I can't recall 100% but I think I did fiddle with it and firecapture just I get on better with sharpcap.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Thank you. When the camera first came out firecapture didn't support it but an update release came out and I think it's all good now. I can't recall 100% but I think I did fiddle with it and firecapture just I get on better with sharpcap.

Thanks, the new release of Firecapture is running on my Mac and recognises the camera.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.