Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

4-pane mosaic Markarian's Chain - An Afternoon with Registar

Psychobilly

Ok... I got some ugly sleep, sorted out darks flats and bias for the 1000D on the Megrez72 FFIII and reprocessed the panes for the Mosaic Test...

I then RTFM for Registar (well not really just had a look at a bit of it) and Reprocessed the 4 panes including calibration of the panes against each other...

Here's a crop of the Region (the Max Rectangular image) Resized from 6802x3294 pixels .... 6.3x3.05 degress of sky...

[ATTACH]20191[/ATTACH]

And here's it inverted...

[ATTACH]20192[/ATTACH]

And finally a link to the Astrometry Solution....

Astrometry.net (Finished job alpha-200903-84884305)

Billy....

you say that you have done the Flats? how many? cos there is a line between the edges of your images?

sorry to spoil the party but it's the only problem in that image other wise it is very nice and the finished article should be POW :)

ally

Hi Ally the problem is more to do with the calibration of the individual panes in Registar (I think) the individual panes had very bad LP gradients on them so i think thats the problem

40 flats were used with 30 bias and 10 "black" darks (the 30 "gold" ones were trashed)

Billy...

No Probs at all Kev,

I havent spent that much time on it as its an experiment...well no more than was needed to get teh mosaicing sorted if you know what I mean... the remenants of the LP gloop made me abandon it for now and I need to get back out havign a quicj cluster session got 8 or 10 M's to knock off - only 15 mins on each one.. then back to leo or possibly add another row to the mosaic...

And then finish the night off with some more NGC 7000

Would you like 13.9MB Jpeg or the 169MB tiff.... i'm going to have to sort out soemwhere to upload the images...

I am back and for the obs at the moment...

Peter

Good job Peter, and I know you aint finished with it. Kevin did a good tidy up for you.

Anyway, apart from it being WIP, the galaxy content is astonishing.

Seems to me this mosaic thing is taking off big time, I can see it's a difficult project to get perfect, but the rewards are going to be worth the effort.

Ron.:):)

Its the problem with LP gradients that has stopped me doing mosaics Peter. Even with perfect flats and dynamic background extraction there is still that nagging hard edge that is very difficult to process out without spoiling the integrity of the image.

Perhaps the best way to get a result would be to take 30 min sections and just move the fov slightly each time in the required direction, then let DSS do the mosaicing for you. At least the background would be more even.

Either way, a full size mosiac of this would be awesome, well worth a huge poster, so I hope you can find a way!

Tim

Yeah its a PITA but in some ways I am not bothered by joins in the mosaic as it shows whats gone into making the image... provided they are faint enough that is...

If I can get a few dry nights then the LP isn't a problem provided its inthe next few weeks before virgo ends up slippign to far towards the SW.. I think the dtrtergy is going to be 15 mins (3x5) of each pane of a strip per night get the whole are covered and then go back and start again...

Currently on my 7th cluster of the night then heading for M51 I think as eveyones doing it at the moment...

Then......

NGC7000 :)

Billy...

A little of the high cloud that has just passed over here is about to reach you. You'll still be able to image through it, but it will add red noise, at least it has for me. I'm hoping that as the temp drops it will disperse though, I've decided to try an all or nothing approach to the tiny cats eye neb, 250 subs! I'll perhaps see you in Richies IRC channel

Cheers Les,

Were in a strange spell of weatehr at the moment lot of moisture inthe air which is just scatterign the LP to very high levels - if it wasnt for the filters I wouldnt be able to cut through it at all... I'm all right unitll i get round to the SSW then its a nightmare as the ISS "Lentil Soup" shots show.

I Haven't bothered with the VSC mosaic tonight - conditions are no better than last night so had a quick "nutty" cluster session earlier on , have spent 4 1/2 hours gettign 3 1/2 hours data on M51 in both narrow and widefields and I am finishing off with another 3 hours + on NGC7000 IC5070

Thanks for the Heads Up TJ ... not here yet :) ... looks like the M51 data is fairly clean... it will prob wipe out the NGC7000 Data later :)

I did pop into the Chatroom no one around - I have banned myself from there whilst imaging - although its not so bad now with the 3 hour roof on the obs...

Peter

Archived