NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn March 19

darditti

This thread should be headed Saturn March 18, but there is no way to correct a thread title. We had really rather good seeing, owing to the stable high-pressure area over the UK, possibly the best this apparition. On the other hand, transparency was very low, necessitating capture at 8.5 rather than my usual 17 frames per second for red and green (blue is always the lower rate).

sat2009-03-18-DLA.jpg

Here also is a link to an animation of the RGB data:

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/David-Arditti/sat2009-03-18-DLA.gif

What I believe this shows is the transit of Enceladus just N of the ring plane (lower left), plus two white spots in the southern hemisphere, plus other less distinct details.

David

That is a fine set of images lovely subtle colours especially the rusty fine band top and botton of disk. Good seeing does not come often and you have produced a top result. John.

Damian always reckons that April has the highest proportion of good seeing nights a year in S England. Just speculation, but I think now maybe with global warming we are getting more "April-type" nights in March. Certainly we get better seeing in spring generally then winter.

David

Archived