Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Large Dob transportation

I have a car question, people. I would like to fit a large Dob and two passengers in a car to go camping. Trailer is not an option. Which car to go for? Background and details:

I recently(ish) moved back to the UK and brought my 18" Dob. I used to transport it in a station wagon with the wheelbarrow handles still attached but, as you can see below, then only one passenger is possible. The OTA is in the gray bundle between the posts of the wheelbarrow handles and would not on top of the mirror box anyway due to ceiling height. A roof rack would not help here, therefore.

Random things I have thought of:

0. My current ancient Fiat Punto will not do at all. 

1. Previously I would use ramps to push the mirror box up into the car and get it over the lip of the boot. I could now make bolt-on handles and have two people lift the scope into the boot. This would work if there no lip to the boot and sliding the whole thing in was an option. 

2. Might be helpful to have a car where removing or folding one rear passenger seat alone is possible. 

3. Taller car so stacking the UTA on top of the mirror box is possible. 

4. Rack for wheelbarrow handles and ramps. 

Any suggestions? I'm after second hand under 5k GBP ideally. ULEZ compliant. 

IMG_2603.jpg

I transport my Dob in a Land Rover Discovery and can confirm that and unequal split rear seat helps a lot for this. Obviously, you could run into problems with LEZ with Land Rovers and it is probably not the type of vehicle you are looking for. If I was after a car to do this I would look at the type of thing that gets converted for wheelchair access, things like the Citroen Berlingo as they have higher roofs than normal cars. It might be worth speaking to your local disability car supplier for advice.

• Like 2

Too bad you're not in the US.  Lots of options for large vehicles here.  I transport my 15" Dob in the back of my 2003 Chevy Astro Van with the rear seat removed.  We use a two person dead lift to get it into the back.  I can still haul 5 people and plenty of  gear in that configuration.  Of course, it gets 12mpg city and 17mpg highway and would never meet ULEZ emission standards.

VW Sharan, you effectively have a transit van when needed.  As shown below rear two seats only removed gives room for 16 inch Dob and 4 passengers.

Jim 

large.WP_20171115_20_28_44_Pro.jpg.b28c7c8b0fd28021e1f91b08f1cc70c2.jpg

Edited by saac
  • Like 3

i bought a peugeot expert tepee. has all the seats which bolt in and out, but has a tailgate. just wheel my 20" in and all the camping gear kids etc.

best vehicle i have ever had

mine is a ex disability with lowered floor super low mileage and well maintained

Edited by faulksy
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Mandy D said:

If I was after a car to do this I would look at the type of thing that gets converted for wheelchair access, things like the Citroen Berlingo as they have higher roofs than normal cars. It might be worth speaking to your local disability car supplier for advice.

Without a doubt this. I have one such, got from a company in Glasgow, which converts a variety of cars for wheelchair access. My wife is in a wheelchair full time and this makes things just so simple. I would imagine that a large dob would fit in with ease and they come fitted with a very good ramp and winch, which would make getting a large dob in and out a doddle. ( https://www.alliedmobility.com/ ) Ours also allows two other passengers, alongside my wife's wheelchair, but this varies. :smiley:

I do believe that the motability charity organise auctions for used cars, at the end of their service, which would be five years old for one of these. I would say contacting them about one of these auctions, might be a very good idea. https://www.motability.co.uk/

Believe me I have considered puiting a large dob in the back! :grin:

Edited by Greymouser
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, faulksy said:

i bought a peugeot expert tepee. has all the seats which bolt in and out, but has a tailgate. just wheel my 20" in and all the camping gear kids etc.

best vehicle i have ever had

mine is a ex disability with lowered floor super low mileage and well maintained

Wow very spacious never even thought of them. will they go to the astronomy site nears Bala, I know you have said before my Vectra would not go up it. 

My Berlingo is just a standard version with the normal floor but it is level without a raised lip. I don't use it for a dob but with the rear seats out it has a massive boot space with a relatively high roof line. My seats just unlatch, no bolts involved?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Wow very spacious never even thought of them. will they go to the astronomy site nears Bala, I know you have said before my Vectra would not go up it. 

no problem going anywere in them paul. your vectra would be fine as well

On 10/05/2022 at 12:41, Mike Q said:

Can you put a hitch on the car and buy a small enclosed trailer?

Be very careful with trailers. Many of them bounce around like crazy and are phenomenally destructive of contents, particularly if the unsprung to sprung weight ratio is small, as it almost certainly will be with a light trailer and light payload. In the States people do use trailers for big Dobs but my experience of small trailers (which is fairly extensive) would tell me to beware...

Olly

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Be very careful with trailers. Many of them bounce around like crazy and are phenomenally destructive of contents, particularly if the unsprung to sprung weight ratio is small, as it almost certainly will be with a light trailer and light payload. In the States people do use trailers for big Dobs but my experience of small trailers (which is fairly extensive) would tell me to beware...

Olly

Yeah I keep forgetting about small trailers.  When I hook up to a trailer....its a TRAILER and generally has several tons on it.