Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron starsense dobs

Wow indeed- I hadn’t realised they’d updated it but this is turning into a really powerful tool. I had a play with it last night, picking of some globs from my severely lp sky and the catalogue is huge now! It just needs the ability to enter RA and Dec now. And a stand-alone version ;)

Mark

• Like 1

On 26/05/2022 at 22:08, Astro_Dad said:

Dob ordered and arriving tomorrow - will look forward to posting a review and first light experience for those who may be interested in the tech. 

Looking forward! Did you get the 10" or 8" version?

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The combination of starsense module/phone/dobsonian has been revolutionary for me. Starsense on a push to dob just seems like such an intuitive and fluid way to find objects, I can’t ever recal having this much fun and seeing so many objects in one night, it’s wonderful. So much so that I can say my 25 years of observing are divided between pre and post starsense. I’m not sure how this tech is used on a computer with the optical eye I’m used to seeing mounted on other starsense enabled scopes but having it on a phone as a complete system is just wonderful!. In the last two nights I have had back to back 5hr sessions lasting into next morning and witnessed countless objects, the entire time starsense hasn’t put a foot wrong, just a small discrepancy between target being centered in EP and APP accurately but close enough to get me on target consistently.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 3

On 19/05/2022 at 19:47, Second Time Around said:

I've also tried Astrohopper that again uses plate solving.

It does not use plate solving at all (unless you consider your eyes as plate solving device).

You align it manually to a star/planet in the area of the target you search for. Than you jump to the target using the guide AstroHopper gives you.

I suggest go over quick start tutorial included in the app.

Edited by Artik
  • Thanks 1