Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dark Skye , dark sky.

For Borlte estimation refer to the descriptions of what you’re able to see. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bortle_scale At the best time be the SQM doesn’t change much but the descriptions certainly do. My home seems about 7, which is a notch behind where the SQM says it should be. It’s good to know what should be visible so one knows how much more one could see and thus how many more pennies one should save for those special trips.

I’m certainly envious of those who live in dark locations, only consolation is that if I need milk or the like I can get it within a few minutes stroll.

Peter

On 05/05/2022 at 07:13, PeterW said:

I’m certainly envious of those who live in dark locations, only consolation is that if I need milk or the like I can get it within a few minutes stroll.

There are downsides to living in the back of beyond - all these things are a two hour drive away - buying clothes and shoes, good quality supermarket (Waitrose etc), buying a car, getting cars serviced, hospitals, large shops of any kind etc  A soon as we mention our postcode for deliveries we get hammered with surcharges or more often a straight NO we dont dont deliver to Highlands and Islands.

On the upside - its a 2 hour drive to MacDonalds, KFC and Burger King!!

The nearest street light is at least 3 miles away and going outside at new moon and a clear sky and looking up makes it all worth it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

all these things are a two hour drive away

When I visited Skye I was surprised to find that the locals went to Inverness for anything significant. Then you look at the map again and you realize why.

3 hours ago, Zermelo said:

When I visited Skye I was surprised to find that the locals went to Inverness for anything significant. Then you look at the map again and you realize why.

But they have curry houses and pubs, so not all bad!

Those midges, though! 😱