SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Any decent to best tripods for the Star Adventurer Pro?

Is there any decent to best tripods I can buy on a budget like ones costing up to £30 for the Star Adventurer Pro I will be obtaining next month on my birthday?

If so, feel free to send me a link to the products you suggest to me!

Thanks and clear skies.

Keep your eyes open for an older aluminium Manfrotto 055. Avoid the more expensive '055PRO' models which have a boom-type arm, which you won't need. Don't extend the legs fully, either - just 2 out of the 3 sections. As it's for AP, don't extend the legs at all, it'll be very stable then. 

You can find them on ebay used for around £30 if you are lucky, as prices vary wildly. Sometimes they have a head attached and around £50 but then sell the head for £20 and you're sorted.

Here are some examples to keep an eye on:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384777476735?hash=item5996865a7f:g:mD8AAOSwlJ9iLK-q

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203867280095?hash=item2f776fd2df:g:WmUAAOSwczNiLhcO

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185337755641?hash=item2b26fdb7f9:g:gisAAOSwciZiLgBS

The latter one is an older type with screw-type leg locks rather than the snappy flip-type. Doesn't really matter.

10 hours ago, WilliamAstro said:
11 hours ago, WilliamAstro said:

is this good for it?

Depends what you want to do with the mount. The weight and load capacity of the tripod (given in the link) clearly indicate it is intended for use as a portable visual mount, rather than for imaging.  For about £30 more you could buy a much more substantial Sky-watcher tripod with a flat top and IIRC a 3/8 screw.  The tripod in the link will be as wobbly as your SLT tripod.

32 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Depends what you want to do with the mount. The weight and load capacity of the tripod (given in the link) clearly indicate it is intended for use as a portable visual mount, rather than for imaging.  For about £30 more you could buy a much more substantial Sky-watcher tripod with a flat top and IIRC a 3/8 screw.  The tripod in the link will be as wobbly as your SLT tripod.

I want to use my Skywatcher for imaging.

4 hours ago, WilliamAstro said:

I want to use my Skywatcher for imaging.

In that case you should start saving up for a mount and tripod suited for imaging.   As an absolute mimimum, I'd suggest an EQ5 Synscan with 1 3/4" steel tripod, unles you want to settle for a DSLR + telephoto lens + tracker mount.

You can put other small telescopes on your SLT mount up to its weight limit, and even try some short exposure imaging.  What do you think the Star Adventurer Pro will do that the SLT won't?

EDIT: I did not know the Star Adventurer Pro was a star tracker...

Edited by Cosmic Geoff

As a general rule the thicker the tripod legs and less number of extending sections will provide a sturdier tripod. Vibration is your largest enemy when imaging or viewing the stars, a study tripod will dampen vibrations quicker or be less prone to them.

Edited by Elp

15 hours ago, callisto said:

Hmm, I was going to suggest the Horizon 8115 as that's what I used for my SGP, solid as a rock...FLO have one for £71.

Your gonna be hard pressed finding something around £30 TBH 😏

I use the Horizon 8115. Agree - very solid but not too heavy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StephenRh said:

I use the Horizon 8115. Agree - very solid but not too heavy.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/horizon-8115-2-way-heavy-duty-tripod.html

is this what your talking about? if so, if it is sturdy and good enough for the SA pro, then I will be saving up on this 🙂

Edited by WilliamAstro
  • Like 1

Another useful tip… if imaging on soft or soggy ground and stop the tripod sinking under its weight is to use three custard tin lids, (one under each leg). If you don’t like custard, then a known brand of savoury snack or Jaffa Cakes that comes in a tube will do.

32 minutes ago, Philip R said:

Another useful tip… if imaging on soft or soggy ground and stop the tripod sinking under its weight is to use three custard tin lids, (one under each leg). If you don’t like custard, then a known brand of savoury snack or Jaffa Cakes that comes in a tube will do.

in my garden is 2 patios with 2 other small patios as pathways to the other patios, and inside the patios is the grass, so i can use the concrete patio as that

41 minutes ago, Philip R said:

3e8e545bca711693d875366d45d66e12.png

here is my garden, as you can see there are two concrete patios and two narrow concrete pathways between them

You can make your own out of three broomsticks. Set them in a old paint tin, colour to match your equipment,  full of mortar then when dry, invert and drill a 3/8 X 16 screw into the top. Cut the broomsticks to level and vol et vent. a level tripod. Approximate cost £7-24

Watch out for woodworm though, they are difficult to calibrate out.

5 posts on the opening page must be some sort of record