Obsy

rawhead

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done on making a start Jon. It is a very worthwhile project, and I think you have chosen a good time of the year to start the job.

I started a modification to mine last October, but progress has been severely hampered by the foul weather we've had.

Keep the Piccies rolling in on the construction.

Ron.:)

Good luck with the "builds" guys... :)

Theres something very fulfilling about designing and building you own obs... I need a spell of dry weather to finish of the last minor tweaks to mine - the major revisions have been completed and make it a much better place to image from...

Billy...

Excellent Jon.

I have lots of great ideas, but sadly, ideas they remain. Good to see you've gone 1 step further.

Keep us updated. It may give a few of us, perhaps, the motivation, to get our bums in gear, so to speak.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hello,

nice plan you got there i hope that you get good dry weather for it :)

I have been thinking about at Observatory over the last few days and i was wondering if anyone had built one as an extention to there house?

my plan might be to build it upon the roof of the house or ontop of one of the large Sheds that are part of the farm. my main thinking is is it safe on the ground and how difficult will it be to build ontop of the roof. It's a flat roof and needs to get fixed anyway so there will be work done to it sometime. anyone know anything about this sort of idea?

thanks ally

i've seen it discussed in the past and in theory there is no reason why not, after all a lot of proffesional obsys are two storey.

the one sticking point ( apart from any possible planning problems ) is that ideally you want the scope isolated from the floor your standing on so that means a pier from the ground floor passing through the upper floor

Hi Ally...

The only thing to worry about is how stable will the mount be...as it may be more difficult to isolate it from vibrations through the floor...

I know Martin is considering a first floor "obs" but with the mount taken down through the ground floor...and isolated from the first floor..

Billy...

my plan was not to be in the observatory when imaging and to have a raised floor, with some soft padding to stop vibrations, when i needed to be there.

i was thinkning of using it remotly, so the observatory is there to save time setting up not there to keep me warm :)

i hear that 90% of all seeing it caused in the first 30feet of air off the ground so am thinkning that the higher i go the better the images :mad:

I think Martin was thinkign about buildign a brick/concrete pillar up to first floor level then mounting a standard pier on it... but havign the pier comign through a clearannced hoel inthe floor to provide the isolation...

I was also thinking about "wind" induced vibration in the upper floor of a "shed"

I tend to drastically over engineer these things.... :)

Billy...

i was planning to fix the mount/ pier to a 2 to 3 foot thick concrete wall, you see the shed is not a typical garden shed it is a large 20foot high 200yard long one that holds cattle :) attaching one a pier to the wall should be ok but the floor will be connected to the same bit of wall roughly.

though i might just build an out building from bricks and put a tall concrete pier in the middle? but the problem there is the roof?

Archived