Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1st Light - 10inch RC Open Truss - M51

Catanonia

I wanted a scope for galaxy work to complement my Rasa8 for widefield.

Being me, I don't do things by half and recently took delivery of a TS 10inch Carbon Open Truss RC scope (GSO clone)

I have spent a good 1/2 day learning how to collimate it with an Ocal electronic collimator and looks like I got it fairly close. Although the M51 image below will show my collimation is slightly off.

It is a very heavy beast to lift and mount on to my EQ8-R mount (about 22kg all in with accessories bolted to it)

The equipment is 

• TS Optics 10inch RC at F8 2000mm
  • EQ8-R mount
  • ZWO 2600MC Pro - no filters
  • WO66 guide scope with 120mm ZWO guide camera
  • ZWO EAF
  • ASI Air Pro

So first light target was my favorite galaxy, M51 Whirlpool and I got 150 2minute subs at binx2.

No flats used yet as I have to figure out how to do this, so PI DBE was used.

Guiding with the 388mm WO66 was around 0.5 - 0.7 in PHD so pretty good.

Below is a very quick process of 90 of the best subs along with one of the single 2min x2 bin subs. The image scale is 1:1

I can get better than this if I sort out the collimation a little more on a star test. It looked ok as a quick star test, but the subs definitely show it is still off a little.

So great to be back to imaging galaxies.

20220313_144050.jpg

M51 Test.jpg

C3F23F92-5320-4965-814C-A33AF685CEBA.thumb.png.a4f0f40dd23bb469a2eae272dba03648.png

Edited by Catanonia
  • Like 17

Very nice looking setup and a very pleasing first light.

You must be well pleased with your new acquisition - 22kg is well outside my lift capability! - it makes my 6" RC look like a toy!

Good luck with fine tuning the collimation and I look forward to seeing more great images.

Adrian

• Like 1

I have sorted out the collimation on the 2nd night by using the old fashioned star test.

Managed to re-do M51 last night with about 4 hours of data.

Will repost soon. Here is a single 2min 1xbin sub

M51 Collimated.jpg

Edited by Catanonia
  • Like 4

how far off was it ? I was hoping to avoid star tests - at least ones involving eye pieces and all that gubbins. Be interested in a quick write up of what worked for you as that looks very nice.

I just did an ocal collimation with my 12" newt - and a single sub seems to show its pretty much spot on, but be good to know for my other scopes.

So the 2600mc has a built in uv/ir does it ?

On 15/03/2022 at 17:20, powerlord said:

how far off was it ? I was hoping to avoid star tests - at least ones involving eye pieces and all that gubbins. Be interested in a quick write up of what worked for you as that looks very nice.

I just did an ocal collimation with my 12" newt - and a single sub seems to show its pretty much spot on, but be good to know for my other scopes.

So the 2600mc has a built in uv/ir does it ?

See my other "review" thread. Collimation was a little off, but hopefully sorted out now with help from others.

The 2600mc doesn't have a uv.ir filter as far as I know as what would be the point of it being an astro camera if it did.

The 2600mc doesn't have a uv.ir filter as far as I know as what would be the point of it being an astro camera if it did.

Im sorry to tell you but the 2600MC front window has UV/IR blocking.  

Edited by Astroscot2

At 2 metres it's a challenging scope.. I know I've said this before elsewhere.. I was so close to going for one but opted out for the 150 frac after 5 years with an 8"RC. Looking at this it's still soo tempting.. you are amazingly close to pulling it off! Couple of things.. why not an OAG & would a shroud not give you the chance to do flats?

3 hours ago, Sp@ce_d said:

At 2 metres it's a challenging scope.. I know I've said this before elsewhere.. I was so close to going for one but opted out for the 150 frac after 5 years with an 8"RC. Looking at this it's still soo tempting.. you are amazingly close to pulling it off! Couple of things.. why not an OAG & would a shroud not give you the chance to do flats?

Thanks I love a challenge.

now using a shroud now I have got the big boy collimated.

OAG was an extra expense and so decided to try with the wo66 refractor I had lying around. If I struggle ZWO OAG is in my cart.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Astroscot2 said:

Wow, the easy question is why ? Dslr owners get rid of them for the very reason it blocks what we want to see. I struggle to see the sense in this if true

On 18/03/2022 at 22:05, Catanonia said:

Wow, the easy question is why ? Dslr owners get rid of them for the very reason it blocks what we want to see. I struggle to see the sense in this if true

Try imaging with a refractor or lens system without uv/ir blocking. 

• Like 1

On 18/03/2022 at 14:02, Astroscot2 said:

This has me confused.

The UV/IR filters in DSLR's are always taken out by people so as to get the Ha and other data.

This is one of the reasons people buy dedicated astro cameras such as the ZWO 2000MC Pro.

Why would ZWO put a UV/IR filter in this camera, especially when they sell these filters individually.

Do you have any links stating that the 2600 MC Pro has a UV/IR filter in the window glass as I still can't believe it ?  (Happy to be disproven)

Edited by Catanonia

If you look on the technical specifications on the ZWO website it states the 2600mc has a IR D60-2 cut off filter. This is at 700nm so should still pick up Ha. I think a lot of cameras cut off a bit earlier.

Protect window: D60-2 IR Cut

Edited by Clarkey
  • Thanks 1

DSLRs Usually have 2 filters. An LPF1 and LPF2 for canons. For astro modification the LPF2 is removed. NOT the LPF1. The LPF1 cuts uv and ir. The LPF2 IR into red - hence that is removed.

Not being funny, bit the folk who commented do know what they are talking about.

You would NEVER* want to shot astro with no uv/ir. maybe the moon, but then it would usually be either a uv/ir blocker or a uv/ir pass.

stu

*except - add exception here. but pretty much never. guidecams is another exception.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, powerlord said:

DSLRs Usually have 2 filters. An LPF1 and LPF2 for canons. For astro modification the LPF2 is removed. NOT the LPF1. The LPF1 cuts uv and ir. The LPF2 IR into red - hence that is removed.

Not being funny, bit the folk who commented do know what they are talking about.

You would NEVER* want to shot astro with no uv/ir. maybe the moon, but then it would usually be either a uv/ir blocker or a uv/ir pass.

stu

*except - add exception here. but pretty much never. guidecams is another exception.

Thanks was not intending to offend anyone. I didn’t realise there was 2 filters in play

8 hours ago, Clarkey said:

If you look on the technical specifications on the ZWO website it states the 2600mc has a IR D60-2 cut off filter. This is at 700nm so should still pick up Ha. I think a lot of cameras cut off a bit earlier.

Protect window: D60-2 IR Cut

Thanks, every day is a school day