Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SH2-261 Lower's Nebula

groberts

Located in the outer regions of the Orion constellation above Betelgeuse, Lower's Nebula consists of mainly ionized hydrogen.  It’s surprising that this interesting, quite large but faint object does not get more attention from astrophotographers, who are perhaps too busy collecting photons from the more famous objects that flourish within nearby Orion itself?  For once clear skies were abundant here during January which allowed for some 17-hours integration time, albeit mostly accompanied by a waxing to full moon.

The data lends itself to various processing approaches and I played around for a long while with a number of different combinations, in the end favouring an SHO + HOO blend as the main image and am pleased with the result.

Graham  

Ha 44 x 600s

OIII 30 x 600s

SII 28 x 600s

SHO_HOO_Final (Small).png

• Like 14

Superb, nice contrast….👍🏼

I tried this the other night and got 8 subs, and then clouds stopped play, I was using my L-Extreme filter as with the waxing moon fairly close I thought it would stop the shine from that, but it still seemed to penetrate and stop some detail, which I was surprised at….🤔 will give a try next time I’m out…assuming it’s still visible…👍🏼

• Like 1

That's a beautiful capture and object, as Orion is fairly high here I may try and get some shots of it, the weather has been against me of late and I dare say 17 hours may be a bit beyond me this year. I do not recall seeing it before on here.

Alan

• Like 1