Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASIair - How does one guide and dither without using ST4 cable?

Ouroboros

How do I auto guide and dither without using an ST4 cable?

I have an ASIair pro connected via a Lynx Astro EQDIR USB cable to my AZ-EQ6 mount. My ZWO guide camera is linked to my mount via an ST4 cable.

This all works fine but I believe it’s possible to guide and dither directly without using the ST4 cable.

How is that done? Cheers. 🙂

1 hour ago, StevieDvd said:

The same usb cable for imaging can send the guide commands, an ST4 cable is not required. Make sure the guide software is not set to on camera (st4).

Thanks. That’s exactly what I expected to have to do. But nowhere on my ASI control app can I find a setting to change. I have looked under mount settings and guide settings in the ASIair app. 

If your AAP is connected to the mount via EQDIR and your guide camera is connected to the AAP via the USB port then you can ditch the ST4 cable. I haven't used my AAP for a couple of months so I can't quite remember if you have to change any settings, but this worked fine with my EQ6-R mount so it should work with your mount. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Richard_ said:

If your AAP is connected to the mount via EQDIR and your guide camera is connected to the AAP via the USB port then you can ditch the ST4 cable. I haven't used my AAP for a couple of months so I can't quite remember if you have to change any settings, but this worked fine with my EQ6-R mount so it should work with your mount. 

Thank you, Richard. I’ve been connecting up my ST4 cable ever since I got my AAP last year. 😀 Then yesterday morning when I was tidying  up after the astro night before, I found my ST4 cable sitting on the bench in my astronomy shed and I couldn’t remember disconnecting it. However, I know my guider had  given  every indication that it calibrated  and guided during the session. Then I started to wonder whether I actually needed the ST4 cable at all.

I then searched the manual and settings on the app and found no way of selecting either ST4 or EQDIR for guiding. But then the ASIair tends not to let you alter settings you don’t need to does it?  Maybe if it knows an EQDIR cable is connected it just uses that for pulse guiding by default.  If there was no EQDIR or USB cable to the mount, it would know to use the ST4 cable to guide. Does this make sense? 

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 2

Hi 

I use the AAP with my az gti mount. I use a lynx astro eq dir cable from the mount to AAP. Then USB from the AAP to guidecamera and set eq mod mount in the AAP software. As above no need for st4 cable or any settings to change, the AAP with recognise the guidescope camera automatically. 

Cheers 

Lee 

Screenshot_20220228_130210.jpg

IMG_20211216_185705.jpg

IMG_20220214_184158.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

Thanks @AstroNebulee, those are the menus I was thinking of!

When I started with my Star Adventurer, I had to select "ST4" from the "telescope" drop down per Lee's image. I then connected my guide cam to the SA via the ST4 cable and the guide cam to the AAP via USB.

When I moved to the EQ6-R, I used the same cable setup but plugged in the EQDIR cable between AAP and mount  and chose "EQ Mod Mount" from the drop down menu. It took a couple of months to realise I no longer needed to use the ST4 cable with the new mount when using the EQDIR cable! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

You'll have to set the Baud Rate to 115200 for the EQ6r too.

OK. I’ve got an AZ-EQ6 and I think (without checking) it’s 9600 too. Whatever it is it works anyway. It’s the sort of thing I set at the  beginning and once it all works forget about. 

• Like 2

A couple of notes:

• The AAP manual says under the Mount Control Panel section:

"To enable GoTo’s an equatorial mount with serial/USB connection is required and ST4 commands are not supported"

• Using an eqdir cable generally needs Baud 9600, using a wifi connection or usb port on mount the Baud rate is higher 115200

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

A couple of notes:

• The AAP manual says under the Mount Control Panel section:

"To enable GoTo’s an equatorial mount with serial/USB connection is required and ST4 commands are not supported"

• Using an eqdir cable generally needs Baud 9600, using a wifi connection or usb port on mount the Baud rate is higher 115200

Duh. It’s even in the manual! Thanks for finding and posting that. I couldn’t see it for looking as they say. :)