Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Favourite Sky Thing

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far, for me, The Moon. Can't pretend that I've looked at any deep-sky beauties live (yet!), as in not on a picture, but the moon is great to watch even without equipment. Looking through Binoculars reveals a whole range of interesting features. Can't wait to go to the next step with the scope. By the way, (newbie question coming up) are any of those eyepiece "Moon Filters" I got with my telescope, work an good?

Other "likes" so far:

Saturn, Hyades and Pleiades, and them nice FOV clusters.

its got to be the milky way

saw it on a moonless extreme dark sky in wales last year whilst camping and i was staggered by it,i suppose its the scale of it in our night sky and the knowledge of the actual scale we are viewing that totally blows me away,

• 3 weeks later...

probably either Eta Carinae, Omega Centauri, or the Tarantula Nebula, all of which look amazing from my backyard, that said, i do miss the Veil nebula, that used to pass overhead at my home in Scotland, although here is Oz, it just pokes above the horizon

:)

You see the moon the moment that you are born and it is not until you see it through a scope that you realise how remote and how lonely it looks from earth. All the dips, curves and craters

It is very easy to dismiss the moon as a quality celestial object simply because we see it every day.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't decide so I have broken mine down as follows:

Naked eye: night sky from a dark site with bright milky way showing dust lanes. I went climbing in the Alps a few years ago (the joys of university holidays) and the night sky from 3,500m surrounded by snow covered mountains is a very special memory.

Binoculars: double cluster and Stock 20 - so many stars! Pleiades is also wonderful

Telescope: The moon (always stunning and always different), Saturn, Orion nebula, Veil nebula. I spent ages hunting for the veil over a period of nights with binos and scope without success. Then I tried using a UHC and it popped out clear as day. Since I earned my stripes star hopping to it (and over it without realising) the Veil has always had a special place for me.

One day I will see the southern sky: megellanic clouds, tarantula nebula, eta carina, jewel box, omega centauri. Until then I am northern-sky biased!

The constellation of Orion has always been my favorite object. It was the first constellation I was able to recognize as a child. I used to watch it pass my window at home as I fell asleep. I now always find it a comforting object if I’m in a foreign country along way from home.

The constellation of Orion has always been my favorite object. It was the first constellation I was able to recognize as a child. I used to watch it pass my window at home as I fell asleep. I now always find it a comforting object if I’m in a foreign country along way from home.

That's beautiful! :)

For me, it just has to be Saturn and its moons. I can watch them forever especially when I can see the moons moving behind Saturn!

Outside of the solar sytem it has to be the Beehive cluster. It's like watching millons of £'s worth of tiny diamonds sparkling against a dark sky

Archived