Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Autofocuser for TAL 200k OTA

Hi,

I have found some discussions about remplacement of the TAL 200K OTA's focuser. Most of them are quite old and I was wondering if TAL owners could advise me on how to end up having an autofocuser on mine.

There seems to be a solution with using a belt focuser motor but I was looking for something better.

While searching for solutions, I have I have found out that it may be even possible to upgrade it to 2". For instance, there is this OAZ ring adapter. They also sell an adapter that fits on the ring but the same diameter seems to fit on a focuser like this one. From there on, I could use a focusing motor like this one.

The upgrade to 2" is actually a nice to have. I understood that this may reduce vignetting. But my ultimate goal is to have an autofocuser for the TAL.

I would appreciate any advice from TAL 200k owners that have succeeded in upgrading it with an autofocuser.

Kind regards,

Cristian

• Like 1

Hi cristian,

I'm not aware of anyone fitting an autofocuser to a Tal but I am sure there
are a number of ways to do it depending on the focuser presuming your talking 
about a non stock focuser.

It might be worth stating if its an F8.5 or the older F10 model your going to
fit the autofocuser to ?

You can fit a 2" focuser to the 200K, I don't think the 200K will fully 
illuminate the 2" exit though but it certainly makes the scope alot nicer to
use.  I fitted a JMI focuser to mine using a similar backplate and really
enjoyed the views with a better focuser and 2" eyepieces but had to move the
secondary forward towards the primary and recollimate the scope in order to move
the focus point back to be able to use the new focuser.  If you have a short focuser 
it will mean there is less adjusting to do but obviously if you use bigger 2" 
secondary's you will need to ensure you have moved the focus enough for them 
all to work.  I had to have move my secondary several times and retest it to get it
all to work which took me a while.  

In the end I reverted mine but that said it can certainly be done and it does make 
the scope alot nice to use.

kathleen